Re: [albanach] Leine and brat

  • greywolfe64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2003
      A brat is a rectangular piece of wool that can be worn (for men) over the
      shoulder and draped under the belt, worn from one shoulder down the chest up
      the back and pinned like a sash, worn like a cloak, or simply draped over the
      shoulder. As for plaids, the information that I've been able to find hasn't
      given any specifics, mainly because of translation issues (confusion with
      stripes = plaids???).

      I hope this has helped.

      Roan mac Cormack

    • Matthew Newsome
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6, 2003
        jsb372002 wrote:

        > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
        > a shawl of some sort?

        Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen blanket you wrap
        around you to keep warm. We have more documentary evidence in SCA
        period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and there seems to have
        been some variety of style in Ireland (square, rectangular,
        semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).

        Do you have access to _Old Irish & Highland Dress_ by H. F. McClintock?
        He goes into some detail on the brat.

        > Also, regarding plaids (simple checked), what
        > were the most common dye colors available? I know that the more
        > wealthy/nobility wore bright colors different patterns at the same
        > time.

        I suspect you mean tartans. "Plaid" was the Scots term for a shawl or
        brat as described above. As to what colors were commonly available,
        natural dyes in Scotland could produce a variety of colors, though some
        would be more expensive than others. I beleive someone recently posted
        that they had a book of natural Scottish dye recipies. Perhaps they
        would like to field this question?

        Matthew A. C. Newsome
        http://albanach.org
        Highland Dress Historian
        Catholic Apologist

        TURRIS FORTIS Catholic Apologetics
        on line at
        http://albanach.org/apologetics

        "To whom shall we go?" -- St. Peter
        John 6:68
      • Ryan Elkins
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2003
          --- Matthew Newsome <eogan@...> wrote:
          > jsb372002 wrote:
          >
          > > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
          > > a shawl of some sort?
          >
          > Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen
          > blanket you wrap
          > around you to keep warm. We have more documentary
          > evidence in SCA
          > period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and
          > there seems to have
          > been some variety of style in Ireland (square,
          > rectangular,
          > semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).

          Does this mean there is some documentation for
          Scottish brats? Im not trying to push the boundaries
          of possibility, I just want make sure before I start
          making garb that Im accurate as possible.

          > > Also, regarding plaids (simple checked), what
          > > were the most common dye colors available? I know
          > that the more
          > > wealthy/nobility wore bright colors different
          > patterns at the same
          > > time.
          >
          > I suspect you mean tartans. "Plaid" was the Scots
          > term for a shawl or
          > brat as described above. As to what colors were
          > commonly available,
          > natural dyes in Scotland could produce a variety of
          > colors, though some
          > would be more expensive than others. I beleive
          > someone recently posted
          > that they had a book of natural Scottish dye
          > recipies. Perhaps they
          > would like to field this question?

          This would be most helpful! Off the top of anyones
          head, can you think of the more common colors or
          patterns found in Scotland?

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2003
            At 10:16 AM -0700 5/6/03, Ryan Elkins wrote:
            >--- Matthew Newsome <eogan@...> wrote:
            > > jsb372002 wrote:
            > >
            > > > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
            > > > a shawl of some sort?
            > >
            > > Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen
            > > blanket you wrap
            > > around you to keep warm. We have more documentary
            > > evidence in SCA
            > > period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and
            > > there seems to have
            > > been some variety of style in Ireland (square,
            > > rectangular,
            > > semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).
            >
            >Does this mean there is some documentation for
            >Scottish brats? Im not trying to push the boundaries
            >of possibility, I just want make sure before I start
            >making garb that Im accurate as possible.

            There is evidence that late period Scottish Gaels wore plaids (which
            are essentially a particularly kind of brat -- a rectangular piece of
            tartan cloth worn as a mantle/shawl/cloak). There is also evidence
            that they wore the shaggy wool kind of brat (also found in Ireland --
            it can look like a sheepskin in drawings, but is actually a kind of
            woven shag wool thingy).

            For some further info and resources on Scottish clothing, see

            http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/

            Sharon, ska Effrick
            --
            Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
            Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2003

              > There is evidence that late period Scottish Gaels
              > wore plaids (which
              > are essentially a particularly kind of brat -- a
              > rectangular piece of
              > tartan cloth worn as a mantle/shawl/cloak). There is
              > also evidence
              > that they wore the shaggy wool kind of brat (also
              > found in Ireland --
              > it can look like a sheepskin in drawings, but is
              > actually a kind of
              > woven shag wool thingy).

              So, what exactly would it have been secured with? I
              remember seeing somewhere that the pennanular brooches
              we very early period.

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Makfulchiane@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 7, 2003
                Greetings,

                My name is Iohne Makfulchiane and I'm from the Barony of Carillon (SCA). I
                have been following many of the discussions in this e-group and have found
                them most informative.

                But I have a question about your latest subject about leine and brat. Are
                there any websites or books that would show how a brat was used (mostly how
                it's made into a cloak, sash, etc.)? My persona is of a 14th century
                Scotsman and I plan to make a brat but I'm not sure how. Any help would be
                most appreciated.

                Please forgive me if this information was already posted, but I didn't see
                it.

                YIS,

                Iohne Makfulchiane
                (Ken Warner)
                Makfulchiane@...

                ".....for it is the doom of man that they forget."