Lady Arabella Stuart and Mary Barrett Dyer

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      I know this is in the grey area just out of period (unless you're into
      Cavalier ;-), but I thought maybe someone on this list might have some info.

      I'm a descendent (per work done by other genealogists in the family) of
      Mary Barrett Dyer, the Quaker martyr who was hung in Boston in 1660
      [http://rootsweb.com/~nwa/dyer.html%5d. There is (or at least was) a legend
      that Mary was the daughter of Lady Arabella Stuart and Sir William Seymour.
      Arabella was the focus of the Catholics who wanted to depose James I after
      Elizabeth I's death.

      I've read http://www.rootsweb.com/~nwa/dyer.html and
      http://www.plumdigital.com/2_webcards/wc46/wc46_433.html (my sister's site,
      to be honest, and I don't know when she last looked into this issue), and
      it seems to me that, though the official story is "no relation," there's
      still some unanswered questions.

      If anyone knows of any additional information on this issue, I'd be
      interested in reading it. Ultimately, it's not important if Lady Arabella
      is my 11th great grandmother or not, but the possible link is enough to get
      me interested in the story.

      Thanks!

      In Service,
      Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org