Re: Garb examples

  • dylan_the_scot
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 24, 2003

      > What kind of Scotsman? (It matters!)
      >
      > Good question...one I'm still deciding on; whether to be Lowland
      or Highland. It was my impression that the Macgregors were
      prominetely highlanders...but I could be wrong
    • K Thomas
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25, 2003
        *pokes her head out of lurk for a second to see if she knows this Dylan*

        And horray for more Scots! :)

        ~ Clothru ingen Matadign
        Shire of Hartstone
        Kingdom of Athelmerc

      • dylan_the_scot
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 25, 2003
          Indeed you do dear lady...indeed you do.

          Dylan Macgregor
          Baronry of Bjornsborg
          Kingdom of Ansteorra

        • greywolfe64@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 25, 2003
            Dylan,

            If your looking at a Highlander in the 15th century the information that I've
            found points to a leine and a brat. The leine is a mid calf length tunic
            with varying length sleeves (from no sleeves to full length). The length is
            shortened by tucking excess under the belt to bring it to about knee high.

            <A HREF="http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/legendary.html">http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/legendary.html</A> This is the best
            site for describing the leine that I've found and since the Highland Gaels
            were historically tied to the Irish Gaels as well as by blood I would say
            that this is your best bet.

            Ronan mac Cormack

          • jsb372002
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2003
              Snip
              --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, greywolfe64@a... wrote:
              > Dylan,
              >
              > If your looking at a Highlander in the 15th century the information
              that I've
              > found points to a leine and a brat.
              unsnip

              OK, new to the group. My Name is Ryan Elkins, and Im known in the SCA
              as Lachlann Munro. Ive checked out Albanach.org regarding clothing
              for Gaels, but what Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
              a shawl of some sort? Also, regarding plaids (simple checked), what
              were the most common dye colors available? I know that the more
              wealthy/nobility wore bright colors different patterns at the same
              time.

              Thanks

              Lachlann
            • greywolfe64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                A brat is a rectangular piece of wool that can be worn (for men) over the
                shoulder and draped under the belt, worn from one shoulder down the chest up
                the back and pinned like a sash, worn like a cloak, or simply draped over the
                shoulder. As for plaids, the information that I've been able to find hasn't
                given any specifics, mainly because of translation issues (confusion with
                stripes = plaids???).

                I hope this has helped.

                Roan mac Cormack

              • Matthew Newsome
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6, 2003
                  jsb372002 wrote:

                  > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
                  > a shawl of some sort?

                  Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen blanket you wrap
                  around you to keep warm. We have more documentary evidence in SCA
                  period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and there seems to have
                  been some variety of style in Ireland (square, rectangular,
                  semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).

                  Do you have access to _Old Irish & Highland Dress_ by H. F. McClintock?
                  He goes into some detail on the brat.

                  > Also, regarding plaids (simple checked), what
                  > were the most common dye colors available? I know that the more
                  > wealthy/nobility wore bright colors different patterns at the same
                  > time.

                  I suspect you mean tartans. "Plaid" was the Scots term for a shawl or
                  brat as described above. As to what colors were commonly available,
                  natural dyes in Scotland could produce a variety of colors, though some
                  would be more expensive than others. I beleive someone recently posted
                  that they had a book of natural Scottish dye recipies. Perhaps they
                  would like to field this question?

                  Matthew A. C. Newsome
                  http://albanach.org
                  Highland Dress Historian
                  Catholic Apologist

                  TURRIS FORTIS Catholic Apologetics
                  on line at
                  http://albanach.org/apologetics

                  "To whom shall we go?" -- St. Peter
                  John 6:68
                • Ryan Elkins
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2003
                    --- Matthew Newsome <eogan@...> wrote:
                    > jsb372002 wrote:
                    >
                    > > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
                    > > a shawl of some sort?
                    >
                    > Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen
                    > blanket you wrap
                    > around you to keep warm. We have more documentary
                    > evidence in SCA
                    > period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and
                    > there seems to have
                    > been some variety of style in Ireland (square,
                    > rectangular,
                    > semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).

                    Does this mean there is some documentation for
                    Scottish brats? Im not trying to push the boundaries
                    of possibility, I just want make sure before I start
                    making garb that Im accurate as possible.

                    > > Also, regarding plaids (simple checked), what
                    > > were the most common dye colors available? I know
                    > that the more
                    > > wealthy/nobility wore bright colors different
                    > patterns at the same
                    > > time.
                    >
                    > I suspect you mean tartans. "Plaid" was the Scots
                    > term for a shawl or
                    > brat as described above. As to what colors were
                    > commonly available,
                    > natural dyes in Scotland could produce a variety of
                    > colors, though some
                    > would be more expensive than others. I beleive
                    > someone recently posted
                    > that they had a book of natural Scottish dye
                    > recipies. Perhaps they
                    > would like to field this question?

                    This would be most helpful! Off the top of anyones
                    head, can you think of the more common colors or
                    patterns found in Scotland?

                    http://search.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2003
                      At 10:16 AM -0700 5/6/03, Ryan Elkins wrote:
                      >--- Matthew Newsome <eogan@...> wrote:
                      > > jsb372002 wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Id like to know is what exactly a brat is. Is it
                      > > > a shawl of some sort?
                      > >
                      > > Basically, yes. Think of it as a nice warm woolen
                      > > blanket you wrap
                      > > around you to keep warm. We have more documentary
                      > > evidence in SCA
                      > > period of brats in Ireland than in Scotland, and
                      > > there seems to have
                      > > been some variety of style in Ireland (square,
                      > > rectangular,
                      > > semi-circular, hooded, not hooded, etc).
                      >
                      >Does this mean there is some documentation for
                      >Scottish brats? Im not trying to push the boundaries
                      >of possibility, I just want make sure before I start
                      >making garb that Im accurate as possible.

                      There is evidence that late period Scottish Gaels wore plaids (which
                      are essentially a particularly kind of brat -- a rectangular piece of
                      tartan cloth worn as a mantle/shawl/cloak). There is also evidence
                      that they wore the shaggy wool kind of brat (also found in Ireland --
                      it can look like a sheepskin in drawings, but is actually a kind of
                      woven shag wool thingy).

                      For some further info and resources on Scottish clothing, see

                      http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/

                      Sharon, ska Effrick
                      --
                      Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                      Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2003

                        > There is evidence that late period Scottish Gaels
                        > wore plaids (which
                        > are essentially a particularly kind of brat -- a
                        > rectangular piece of
                        > tartan cloth worn as a mantle/shawl/cloak). There is
                        > also evidence
                        > that they wore the shaggy wool kind of brat (also
                        > found in Ireland --
                        > it can look like a sheepskin in drawings, but is
                        > actually a kind of
                        > woven shag wool thingy).

                        So, what exactly would it have been secured with? I
                        remember seeing somewhere that the pennanular brooches
                        we very early period.

                        http://search.yahoo.com
                      • Makfulchiane@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2003
                          Greetings,

                          My name is Iohne Makfulchiane and I'm from the Barony of Carillon (SCA). I
                          have been following many of the discussions in this e-group and have found
                          them most informative.

                          But I have a question about your latest subject about leine and brat. Are
                          there any websites or books that would show how a brat was used (mostly how
                          it's made into a cloak, sash, etc.)? My persona is of a 14th century
                          Scotsman and I plan to make a brat but I'm not sure how. Any help would be
                          most appreciated.

                          Please forgive me if this information was already posted, but I didn't see
                          it.

                          YIS,

                          Iohne Makfulchiane
                          (Ken Warner)
                          Makfulchiane@...

                          ".....for it is the doom of man that they forget."