Re: [albanach] Re: Gaelic name help needed

  • SCAbeathog@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 9:44 AM
      In a message dated 2/28/2003 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      fionnghuala069@...
      writes:

      > Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
      > since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
      > I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).
      >
      > It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
      > fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
      > shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
      > traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
      > sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
      > to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
      > look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.
      >
      > I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

      Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry (and to the few others that
      did, also). I have been too busy to get back on this, hence the delay for
      voicing my appreciation.

      In addition to the name above, the two names being considered, at the present
      time, are Eabha and Nichola (still!).

      We know about Eabha (Eva), but we are waiting to see if Nichola is a Gaelic
      name and, if so, how it would be pronounced. The name appears on the St.
      Gabriel list of Feminine Personal Names Found in Scottish Records, pre-1400.

      I was hoping to hear from Sharon Krossa on this. But I would really
      appreciate advice from anyone!

      Regards,
      Beathog