Re: [albanach] Scottish Gaelic Help

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      At 3:26 AM +0000 4/1/03, greywolfe642001 wrote:
      >I'm working on an 11th century Scottish persona and I would like to
      >learn some simple Scottish Gaelic frases. I've tried to use some of
      >the online dictionaries for things like "Hello" "Well met" and "Good
      >Bye".

      Can't tell you what the equivalent phrases would be for the 11th
      century, but I can say that in late period (15th or 16th century) a
      Scottish Gaelic greeting was
      <Beannachd De/>
      (<e/> represents an <e> with an acute accent, <é> if you can deal
      with non-ascii)

      Which means "Blessing of God"

      I'm told the corresponding farewell was
      <Beannachd leibh>

      Which means "Blessing with you"

      Neither of these are the current modern Scottish Gaelic
      greetings/farewells -- just as our modern English greetings/farewells
      are not the same as those used by English speakers in the 15th/16th
      century (let alone 11th!).

      Again, note that I don't know if these two late medieval Scottish
      Gaelic greetings/farewells were also in use in the 11th century!

      Anyway, pronounciations are roughly:

      <Beannachd De/> roughly \BEN-ahkhk JAY\

      <Beannachd leibh> roughly \BEN-ahkhk LyEV\

      Where the \kh\ represents the rasping sound of the <ch> in Scottish
      <loch> and German <ach> and <Bach>. And the \Ly\ represents a
      palatalized \L\ sound -- sort of like the <ll> in English <million>,
      that is, sort of like an \L\ sound followed by a consonantal \y\
      sound (like the <y> in English <yes>).

      Sharon, ska Affrick
      --
      Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...