Research Advice

  • JLFisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
      Greetings.

      I am trying to research my great great grandmothers name and to simply
      find out more about it.
      Her name was Lovie McCracken, and I have been trying more in earnest now
      to research it with my recently becoming involved in the SCA and
      searching for a 'persona'.
      I have found information that says its a sept of MacLane, but also of
      MacNaughton, which is a bit confusing to me I guess.
      I apologize for being new *sigh*

      Joy
    • Matthew Newsome
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
        JLFisher wrote:

        > I have found information that says its a sept of MacLane, but also of
        > MacNaughton, which is a bit confusing to me I guess.
        > I apologize for being new *sigh*

        I don't have time to go find my references to give you a detailed
        answer, but the long and short of it is that MacCracken and MacNaughton
        basically represent Anglicized forms of the same Gaelic names -- hence
        the reason MacCracken is always listed as a "sept" of MacNaughton in
        those clan reference books.

        When I get some more time on my hands I'll show you what the Gaelic
        roots are and how both names come from that.

        Matthew A. C. Newsome
        http://albanach.org
        Highland Dress Historian
        Catholic Apologist

        TURRIS FORTIS Catholic Apologetics
        on line at
        http://albanach.org/apologetics

        "To whom shall we go?" -- St. Peter
        John 6:68
      • Joy Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
          I very much appreciate the time you spent explaining
          the things that you have. Thank you sincerely.

          Would McCracken then be considered to be part of Clan
          MacNaughton?

          I'm still a bit confused as to how MacLane fits in.

          Do you have some books that you would recommend or even documentation
          sites on the web?

          Thank you again.

          Joy

          From: Matthew Newsome <eogan@...>
          Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:26:43 -0500

          >JLFisher wrote:
          >
          >> I have found information that says its a sept of MacLane, but also of
          >> MacNaughton, which is a bit confusing to me I guess.
          >> I apologize for being new *sigh*
          >
          >I don't have time to go find my references to give you a detailed
          >answer, but the long and short of it is that MacCracken and MacNaughton
          >basically represent Anglicized forms of the same Gaelic names -- hence
          >the reason MacCracken is always listed as a "sept" of MacNaughton in
          >those clan reference books.
          >
          >When I get some more time on my hands I'll show you what the Gaelic
          >roots are and how both names come from that.
          >
          >Aye,
          >Eogan
          >
          >--
          >Matthew A. C. Newsome
          >http://albanach.org
          >Highland Dress Historian
          >Catholic Apologist
          >
          >TURRIS FORTIS Catholic Apologetics
          >on line at
          >http://albanach.org/apologetics
          >
          >"To whom shall we go?" -- St. Peter
          >John 6:68
          >

          >This is Albanach, a group devoted to the study and re-enactment of
          >Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
          >your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/list/albanach

        • Matthew Newsome
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
            Joy Fisher wrote:

            > I very much appreciate the time you spent explaining
            > the things that you have. Thank you sincerely.
            >
            > Would McCracken then be considered to be part of Clan
            > MacNaughton?

            As I said in my last email, MacCracken is always listed under the clan
            MacNaughton in modern clan/family reference works, simply because
            MacCracken and MacNaughton are merely different Anglicized spellings of
            the same Gaelic name.

            So, yes, MacCracken is a part of Clan MacNaughton for modern reasons --
            i.e. deciding what tartan to wear, wanting to join a clan society,
            participation in the Highland Games, etc.

            However, I wanted to stress that all of this is a modern consideration.
            In period, the Gaels did not have surnames per se, and what clan you
            belonged to had nothing to do with your name. Bob MacSmitty was called
            that because his first name was Bob and his dad's first name was
            Smitty. He was Bob, son of Smitty. He didn't belong to "Clan
            MacSmitty." His dad's name was probably something like Smitty
            MacBubba. This means Bob's grandfather's name was Bubba.

            Of course I'm using silly examples, primarily so I don't have to attempt
            to spell Gaelic this early in the morning. ;-)

            But my main point is that for purposes of choosing an SCA name, what
            clan your persona belongs to, if he or she belongs to a clan at all,
            would not determine the surname.