Re: Gaelic name help needed

  • fionnghuala069 <fionnghuala069@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
      Madainn Mhath a' huile! (Good day everyone) I'm new to the group as
      well, but I've studied the Gaelic off and on for the last 8 years.

      I have a pretty good handle on the pronunciation rules of the
      language and a few stock phrases; "the" comprehensive
      dictionary "Dwelly's"; a couple of teach yourself books & tapes, as
      well as a few websites on learning the language.

      First, gaelic was an oral language not written. I personally know a
      native speaker that still doesn't know how to write some of the words
      she uses. So spelling isn't the most important part of a name.

      Second, unless you know the context of the name, or the sex of the
      person with the name it is sometimes difficult to decide whether a
      name is for a man or a woman.

      That said, here is my two cents.

      Eufrata and Nicola are not gaelic names that I know of.

      Aeschine could be (I'd need to look in the dictionary to be sure)
      Eschina seems to be the phonetic spelling of the previous name so
      isn't gaelic. Aeschine most likely would be pronounced esh-keen-e.

      Forbhlaith is probably a man's name. In English we would probably say
      Farley.

      Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
      since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
      I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).

      It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
      fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
      shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
      traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
      sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
      to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
      look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.

      I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

      Mar sin leibh...

      Fionnghuala nic Aoidh
      Barony of Terra Pomaria
      Kingdom of An Tir
    • SCAbeathog@cs.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        In a message dated 2/28/2003 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        fionnghuala069@...
        writes:

        > Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
        > since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
        > I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).
        >
        > It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
        > fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
        > shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
        > traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
        > sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
        > to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
        > look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.
        >
        > I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

        Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry (and to the few others that
        did, also). I have been too busy to get back on this, hence the delay for
        voicing my appreciation.

        In addition to the name above, the two names being considered, at the present
        time, are Eabha and Nichola (still!).

        We know about Eabha (Eva), but we are waiting to see if Nichola is a Gaelic
        name and, if so, how it would be pronounced. The name appears on the St.
        Gabriel list of Feminine Personal Names Found in Scottish Records, pre-1400.

        I was hoping to hear from Sharon Krossa on this. But I would really
        appreciate advice from anyone!

        Regards,
        Beathog