Re: [albanach] Gaelic name help needed

  • scadomhnall@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1 9:36 PM
      Is there anyone out there who can contribute at least an opinion on this
      person's question? We look to ths list for help from those who have more
      experience and knowledge. Selection of a persona is a complicated and
      difficult business, and we can all use all the help we can get.

      Please help.

      Domhnall

    • scadomhnall@cs.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2 12:56 AM
        Well, after all that I forgot the original - here it is.

        Please help.

        Domhnall

      • hockeysocks@canada.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3 10:54 AM
          I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
          out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
          this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
          the original on this list.
          Regards
          KT

          href="http://mail.canada.com/jump/http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms</a>/

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3 11:15 AM
            In a message dated 2/3/2003 10:58:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            hockeysocks@... writes:

            > I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
            > out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
            > this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
            > the original on this list.
            > Regards
            > KT

            Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think I was being shunned by
            the list. You are most kind.

            Beathog

          • Nancy Zupanic
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3 11:41 AM
              (Waving back) KT, Buddy, you flatter me! I'm afraid that pretty much all I
              know of Gaelic, I've learned from this list. I don't know how to pronounce
              names unless their phonetic spelling is in front of me. I truly do wish I
              were able to help, and I apologize that I can't.

              Muirgheal

              > I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
              > out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
              > this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
              > the original on this list.
              > Regards
            • Nancy Zupanic
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3 11:50 AM
                > Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think I was being shunned
                by
                > the list. You are most kind.

                No, never shunned - the kindest of folk reside on this list! But it is
                possible, actually probable, that those few who could properly answer your
                question have just not caught up on their mail as yet. Being the founts of
                knowledge that they are, I would imagine that they get a huge volume of
                email which they must reply to.

                I'm sure your answer will come, though it sometimes takes a while. Have you
                tried the Academy of St. Gabriel? If you scroll down their opening page,
                you will come to a search field where you can search their past work. They
                may have done work on some or all of these names and their reports might
                contain pronounciations. Of course, between St. Gabriel, Sharon Krossa,
                and a friend who speaks Gaelic, I have heard three different pronounciations
                of my chosen SCA name. Of the three, I have picked the pronounciation that
                is easiest for others to manage. http://www.s-gabriel.org/

                Morel
                Muirgheal
              • Skye MacLean <skye@manypaths.ca>
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3 12:04 PM
                  I have only been learing Gaelic for a year now..I will look them over
                  and see, If I can't figure it out I will ask my Clan and see if they
                  can help out:)

                  Le gach nì
                  Skye

                • Dblackthistle8@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3 1:39 PM
                    my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                    the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                    daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle

                  • SCAbeathog@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3 2:11 PM
                      In a message dated 2/3/2003 11:56:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                      bearpaws@... writes:

                      > I'm sure your answer will come, though it sometimes takes a while. Have you
                      > tried the Academy of St. Gabriel? If you scroll down their opening page,
                      > you will come to a search field where you can search their past work. They
                      > may have done work on some or all of these names and their reports might
                      > contain pronounciations. Of course, between St. Gabriel, Sharon Krossa,
                      > and a friend who speaks Gaelic, I have heard three different pronounciations
                      > of my chosen SCA name. Of the three, I have picked the pronounciation that
                      > is easiest for others to manage. http://www.s-gabriel.org/

                      Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, I can see that there is quite a lot of
                      information St. Gabriel has to offer that I didn't even think about. Quite a
                      lot of reading, maybe a good activity to keep them busy on the road to
                      Estrella War next week :)

                      Beathog

                    • malkin7@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3 4:46 PM
                        In a message dated 02/03/2003 2:40:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                        Dblackthistle8@... writes:

                        > my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                        > the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                        > daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle

                        starting at <www.sca.org> and hitting the research links from there or if
                        he's inclined to Scotland, etc. try <www.medievalscotland.com> and go from
                        there.

                        those are the places my son started. Talking with your local herald who has
                        access to resources is also a great place to start. The heralds here in
                        Atenveldt are always eager to talk names and devices...<grin>
                        Heleyne

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3 5:38 PM
                          At 7:46 PM -0500 2/3/03, malkin7@... wrote:
                          >In a message dated 02/03/2003 2:40:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                          >Dblackthistle8@... writes:
                          >

                          > > my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                          > > the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                          > > daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle
                          > >

                          >starting at <www.sca.org> and hitting the research links from there or if
                          >he's inclined to Scotland, etc. try <www.medievalscotland.com> and go from
                          >there.

                          I expect http://www.MedievalScotland.ORG/ (not .COM) will be more helpful ;-)

                          I'm extremely busy at the moment, which is why I haven't responded to
                          the specific name question posted yet. [As I've said before, and this
                          still holds -- anyone who wants my input on something should poke me
                          about once a month until you get an answer...]

                          Sharon, ska Effrick
                          --
                          Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                          Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 28 4:19 PM
                            Madainn Mhath a' huile! (Good day everyone) I'm new to the group as
                            well, but I've studied the Gaelic off and on for the last 8 years.

                            I have a pretty good handle on the pronunciation rules of the
                            language and a few stock phrases; "the" comprehensive
                            dictionary "Dwelly's"; a couple of teach yourself books & tapes, as
                            well as a few websites on learning the language.

                            First, gaelic was an oral language not written. I personally know a
                            native speaker that still doesn't know how to write some of the words
                            she uses. So spelling isn't the most important part of a name.

                            Second, unless you know the context of the name, or the sex of the
                            person with the name it is sometimes difficult to decide whether a
                            name is for a man or a woman.

                            That said, here is my two cents.

                            Eufrata and Nicola are not gaelic names that I know of.

                            Aeschine could be (I'd need to look in the dictionary to be sure)
                            Eschina seems to be the phonetic spelling of the previous name so
                            isn't gaelic. Aeschine most likely would be pronounced esh-keen-e.

                            Forbhlaith is probably a man's name. In English we would probably say
                            Farley.

                            Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
                            since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
                            I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).

                            It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
                            fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
                            shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
                            traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
                            sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
                            to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
                            look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.

                            I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

                            Mar sin leibh...

                            Fionnghuala nic Aoidh
                            Barony of Terra Pomaria
                            Kingdom of An Tir
                          • SCAbeathog@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
                              In a message dated 2/28/2003 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              fionnghuala069@...
                              writes:

                              > Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
                              > since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
                              > I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).
                              >
                              > It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
                              > fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
                              > shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
                              > traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
                              > sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
                              > to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
                              > look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.
                              >
                              > I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

                              Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry (and to the few others that
                              did, also). I have been too busy to get back on this, hence the delay for
                              voicing my appreciation.

                              In addition to the name above, the two names being considered, at the present
                              time, are Eabha and Nichola (still!).

                              We know about Eabha (Eva), but we are waiting to see if Nichola is a Gaelic
                              name and, if so, how it would be pronounced. The name appears on the St.
                              Gabriel list of Feminine Personal Names Found in Scottish Records, pre-1400.

                              I was hoping to hear from Sharon Krossa on this. But I would really
                              appreciate advice from anyone!

                              Regards,
                              Beathog