Gaelic name help needed

  • SCAbeathog@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2003
      Greetings to the list,

      I am hoping someone on this list may offer some help.

      Two young female members of our household are very anxious to register names
      for SCA use. I'm afraid they have found the research a bit over their heads,
      as I have, but have found a few names (from Scottish Gaelic records) they may
      wish to chose from. We would appreciate some help with pronounciation, if
      any of you would be so kind. We have made a guess on each, but want to check
      with those who know better, as Gaelic certainly can be tricky! The names are:

      Aeschine/Eschina
      Eufrata
      Forbhlaith
      Fionghuala/Fionnghuala
      Nichola

      Thank you so much!

      Back to lurking,
      Beathog

    • scadomhnall@cs.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1 9:36 PM
        Is there anyone out there who can contribute at least an opinion on this
        person's question? We look to ths list for help from those who have more
        experience and knowledge. Selection of a persona is a complicated and
        difficult business, and we can all use all the help we can get.

        Please help.

        Domhnall

      • scadomhnall@cs.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2 12:56 AM
          Well, after all that I forgot the original - here it is.

          Please help.

          Domhnall

        • hockeysocks@canada.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3 10:54 AM
            I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
            out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
            this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
            the original on this list.
            Regards
            KT

            href="http://mail.canada.com/jump/http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms</a>/

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3 11:15 AM
              In a message dated 2/3/2003 10:58:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              hockeysocks@... writes:

              > I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
              > out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
              > this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
              > the original on this list.
              > Regards
              > KT

              Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think I was being shunned by
              the list. You are most kind.

              Beathog

            • Nancy Zupanic
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3 11:41 AM
                (Waving back) KT, Buddy, you flatter me! I'm afraid that pretty much all I
                know of Gaelic, I've learned from this list. I don't know how to pronounce
                names unless their phonetic spelling is in front of me. I truly do wish I
                were able to help, and I apologize that I can't.

                Muirgheal

                > I'm no expert, but I know a very nice & helpful herald
                > out there in An Tir (waving) who is pretty good at
                > this. I forwarded this to her, in case she didn't see
                > the original on this list.
                > Regards
              • Nancy Zupanic
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3 11:50 AM
                  > Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think I was being shunned
                  by
                  > the list. You are most kind.

                  No, never shunned - the kindest of folk reside on this list! But it is
                  possible, actually probable, that those few who could properly answer your
                  question have just not caught up on their mail as yet. Being the founts of
                  knowledge that they are, I would imagine that they get a huge volume of
                  email which they must reply to.

                  I'm sure your answer will come, though it sometimes takes a while. Have you
                  tried the Academy of St. Gabriel? If you scroll down their opening page,
                  you will come to a search field where you can search their past work. They
                  may have done work on some or all of these names and their reports might
                  contain pronounciations. Of course, between St. Gabriel, Sharon Krossa,
                  and a friend who speaks Gaelic, I have heard three different pronounciations
                  of my chosen SCA name. Of the three, I have picked the pronounciation that
                  is easiest for others to manage. http://www.s-gabriel.org/

                  Morel
                  Muirgheal
                • Skye MacLean <skye@manypaths.ca>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3 12:04 PM
                    I have only been learing Gaelic for a year now..I will look them over
                    and see, If I can't figure it out I will ask my Clan and see if they
                    can help out:)

                    Le gach nì
                    Skye

                  • Dblackthistle8@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3 1:39 PM
                      my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                      the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                      daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle

                    • SCAbeathog@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3 2:11 PM
                        In a message dated 2/3/2003 11:56:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                        bearpaws@... writes:

                        > I'm sure your answer will come, though it sometimes takes a while. Have you
                        > tried the Academy of St. Gabriel? If you scroll down their opening page,
                        > you will come to a search field where you can search their past work. They
                        > may have done work on some or all of these names and their reports might
                        > contain pronounciations. Of course, between St. Gabriel, Sharon Krossa,
                        > and a friend who speaks Gaelic, I have heard three different pronounciations
                        > of my chosen SCA name. Of the three, I have picked the pronounciation that
                        > is easiest for others to manage. http://www.s-gabriel.org/

                        Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, I can see that there is quite a lot of
                        information St. Gabriel has to offer that I didn't even think about. Quite a
                        lot of reading, maybe a good activity to keep them busy on the road to
                        Estrella War next week :)

                        Beathog

                      • malkin7@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3 4:46 PM
                          In a message dated 02/03/2003 2:40:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                          Dblackthistle8@... writes:

                          > my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                          > the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                          > daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle

                          starting at <www.sca.org> and hitting the research links from there or if
                          he's inclined to Scotland, etc. try <www.medievalscotland.com> and go from
                          there.

                          those are the places my son started. Talking with your local herald who has
                          access to resources is also a great place to start. The heralds here in
                          Atenveldt are always eager to talk names and devices...<grin>
                          Heleyne

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3 5:38 PM
                            At 7:46 PM -0500 2/3/03, malkin7@... wrote:
                            >In a message dated 02/03/2003 2:40:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                            >Dblackthistle8@... writes:
                            >

                            > > my son and I are in the same predicament...forgive us for lurking...I leave
                            > > the help to those who can but sympathize.....picking a persona is
                            > > daunting...any suggestions for a young male ??? Blackthistle
                            > >

                            >starting at <www.sca.org> and hitting the research links from there or if
                            >he's inclined to Scotland, etc. try <www.medievalscotland.com> and go from
                            >there.

                            I expect http://www.MedievalScotland.ORG/ (not .COM) will be more helpful ;-)

                            I'm extremely busy at the moment, which is why I haven't responded to
                            the specific name question posted yet. [As I've said before, and this
                            still holds -- anyone who wants my input on something should poke me
                            about once a month until you get an answer...]

                            Sharon, ska Effrick
                            --
                            Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                            Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 28 4:19 PM
                              Madainn Mhath a' huile! (Good day everyone) I'm new to the group as
                              well, but I've studied the Gaelic off and on for the last 8 years.

                              I have a pretty good handle on the pronunciation rules of the
                              language and a few stock phrases; "the" comprehensive
                              dictionary "Dwelly's"; a couple of teach yourself books & tapes, as
                              well as a few websites on learning the language.

                              First, gaelic was an oral language not written. I personally know a
                              native speaker that still doesn't know how to write some of the words
                              she uses. So spelling isn't the most important part of a name.

                              Second, unless you know the context of the name, or the sex of the
                              person with the name it is sometimes difficult to decide whether a
                              name is for a man or a woman.

                              That said, here is my two cents.

                              Eufrata and Nicola are not gaelic names that I know of.

                              Aeschine could be (I'd need to look in the dictionary to be sure)
                              Eschina seems to be the phonetic spelling of the previous name so
                              isn't gaelic. Aeschine most likely would be pronounced esh-keen-e.

                              Forbhlaith is probably a man's name. In English we would probably say
                              Farley.

                              Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
                              since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
                              I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).

                              It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
                              fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
                              shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
                              traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
                              sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
                              to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
                              look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.

                              I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

                              Mar sin leibh...

                              Fionnghuala nic Aoidh
                              Barony of Terra Pomaria
                              Kingdom of An Tir
                            • SCAbeathog@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
                                In a message dated 2/28/2003 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                fionnghuala069@...
                                writes:

                                > Fionghuala/Fionnghuala - now this one is especially important to me
                                > since it is my own chosen SCA name. I use the latter spelling (which
                                > I saw on a family tree in Glamis Castle, Scotland).
                                >
                                > It is made up of two ordinary gaelic words. Fionn meaning white or
                                > fair and ghuala meaning shoulder. So in essence the name means fair
                                > shoulders. I first found an english spelling of Fenella and then
                                > traced it back to the gaelic. The pronunciation is just like Fenella
                                > sounds. The gaelic pronunciation is more complicated not impossible
                                > to say, but very hard to write. So hard that I'm going to have to
                                > look it up in the dictionary too and send it later.
                                >
                                > I hope this helps and I'll try to answer any other questions.

                                Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry (and to the few others that
                                did, also). I have been too busy to get back on this, hence the delay for
                                voicing my appreciation.

                                In addition to the name above, the two names being considered, at the present
                                time, are Eabha and Nichola (still!).

                                We know about Eabha (Eva), but we are waiting to see if Nichola is a Gaelic
                                name and, if so, how it would be pronounced. The name appears on the St.
                                Gabriel list of Feminine Personal Names Found in Scottish Records, pre-1400.

                                I was hoping to hear from Sharon Krossa on this. But I would really
                                appreciate advice from anyone!

                                Regards,
                                Beathog