Surnames ca. 1263

  • rbrewington@houston.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2003
      Hello,

      I am writing a novel set in western Scotland (Mull and Loch Lomond areas, specifically) in 1262 and 1263 and am wondering about surnames. Surnames/clan names were much more fluid in the mid-13th century than they would become later on, right? So that my character could have been called "Svein, son of Harald" or "Svein Haraldson" or "Svein macHarald" (his mother was Norse and she named him after a personage in the Orkney sagas). Would one variation have been preferred over another?

      Thanks,

      Robbie

    • little wing
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2003
        Interesting... Though I don't have an answer concerning surnames, I am also writing a novel set in Scotland that starts about the time of the Battle of Largs (1263) and would be glad to share any research materials I've come across. I'm in Scotland now researching and writing, and will be here for about a year.
        Tyew the Timid
        rbrewington@... wrote:Hello,

        I am writing a novel set in western Scotland (Mull and Loch Lomond areas, specifically) in 1262 and 1263 and am wondering about surnames. Surnames/clan names were much more fluid in the mid-13th century than they would become later on, right? So that my character could have been called "Svein, son of Harald" or "Svein Haraldson" or "Svein macHarald" (his mother was Norse and she named him after a personage in the Orkney sagas). Would one variation have been preferred over another?

        Thanks,

        Robbie

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
        your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/list/albanach

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2003
          Dear Tyew the Timid,

          I'd love to share with you! Email me direct , ok? Tell me about your
          story, please. I'm so jealous that you are actually there! (good for you!)
          Where are you in Scotland?

          Robbie

          > Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:17:19 -0800 (PST)
          > From: little wing <poet_and_friend@...>
          > Subject: Re: Surnames ca. 1263
          >

          > Interesting... Though I don't have an answer concerning surnames, I am
          also writing a novel set in Scotland that starts about the time of the
          Battle of Largs (1263) and would be glad to share any research materials
          I've come across. I'm in Scotland now researching and writing, and will be
          here for about a year.
          > Tyew the Timid
          > rbrewington@... wrote:Hello,
          >
          > I am writing a novel set in western Scotland (Mull and Loch Lomond areas,
          specifically) in 1262 and 1263 and am wondering about surnames. > Robbie