16th century quaicks

  • mcgrath94596
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
      Greetings aw!

      Dis abody ken gif the 16th century quichs war makkit o' cairved wid?
      Like common broth bowls wid be cairved. A hae only seen 1th century
      coopered quaicks an 18th century silver quaichs.

      Dae onie 16th century quaicks exist?

      Thank ye,

      E McGrath
    • Nancy Zupanic
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
        E McGrath wrote:
        > Dis abody ken gif the 16th century quichs war makkit o' cairved wid?
        > Like common broth bowls wid be cairved. A hae only seen 17th century
        > coopered quaicks an 18th century silver quaichs.
        >
        > Dae onie 16th century quaicks exist?

        I'm not a historian, but your question got my curiosity up. I went online
        to look and found an unsupported answer to your question. The History of
        the Quaich page that I found had a well-written short essay, but listed no
        sources, so I don't know how reliable it is.

        It is found at http://www.smws.ch/topics/quaichhistory.htm and states that
        "The earliest written reference to quaichs dates from 1546, at which time
        they were already well-established in Scottish culture." It goes on to say
        that "The earliest quaichs were single-timber, meaning that they were made
        of a single piece of wood turned on a lathe."

        So, *if* this article were supported and had documentation attached, it
        would be able to answer your questions. You could write the Society hosting
        this site and ask for documentation for their article. Their contact info
        is found at http://www.smws.ch/contact.htm.

        Let us know what you find out!

        Morel
        Muirgheal inghean Labhrain
      • Ed McGrath
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
          thanks
          ed

        • Nancy Zupanic
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
            > thanks
            > ed

            It would seem that we've sent each other the same essay, but at different
            websites. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

            Morel

            Muirgheal