Re: prayers for childbirth

  • Tonia Blake
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
      > From: Julie Stackable <malvoisine@...>
      > Subject: prayers for childbirth
      >
      > Your character in childbirth should more likely
      > be praying to St. Margaret of Antioch, she was
      > the patron of childbirth and probably more

      > her in extremis. Also, don't forget, women at
      > this time are still very superstitious about
      > childbirth and still had a tendency to go for
      > relics and charms

      Thanks for the information, Margaret.

      > Margaret Hepburn,
      > still superstitious, who freely admits to having
      > a baggie of Texas dirt in the birthing room in
      > California so my son could be born over Texas
      > soil

      <grin>
    • Julie Stackable
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
        Your character in childbirth should more likely
        be praying to St. Margaret of Antioch, she was
        the patron of childbirth and probably more
        familiar to a Scotswoman at this time period than
        Brigid - Brigid was generally prayed to more for
        fertility, not a real problem for a women giving
        birth (!). Just a suggestion tho' - if Brigid was
        her particular saint, i.e. from her naming day,
        etc., she might be more comfortable praying to
        her in extremis. Also, don't forget, women at
        this time are still very superstitious about
        childbirth and still had a tendency to go for
        relics and charms -an eaglestone was clutched to
        ease the pains and a knife placed under the bed
        or near to 'cut' the pains. Also, there are many
        superstitions about having all knots in the
        bedchamber undone to 'unknot' or ease the birth.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/