Re: [albanach] Medieval Prayers

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
      Muirghein wrote:

      > My admittedly not Catholic thought is that the Ave Maria might also be
      > good option.

      The only problem with that is that the second half of the Ave Maria (the
      part beginning "Holy Mary, Mother of God. . ." was not added until 1483
      (as was the name "Jesus" at the end of the first half). So, someone in
      the thirteenth century would be praying only the angel's annunciantion
      to Mary and Elizabeth's greeting.

      Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord be with you. Blessed art thou among
      women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

      Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et
      benedictus fructus ventris tui.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
        Diana Cosby wrote:

        > ~I would love to see that please. Thank you!
        > Diana

        Actually, I misspoke. What I have is an Old English Our Father.

        Ah ha! Upon looking, I see that I do have the Middle English version
        taken from the Wycliffite Bible of 1384.

        Fadir, halewid be thi name. Thi kyngdom come to. zyue to vs to day oure
        eche dayes breed. And forzyue to vs oure synnes, as and we forzyuen to
        each owynge to vs. And leed vs not in to temptacioun.

        Remember that "v" and "u" were used interchagably. And "z" here would
        have a "g" sound.

        I also have several sixteenth century English translations.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
          L Baker wrote:

          > I don't Know...wouldn't it be more likely for a Female
          > Charecter in period to be reciting the Rosary??

          No more likely for a female than a male. But the Our Father is one of
          the prayers used in the rosary. The author is looking for a single
          prayer that would be most familiar to a person. The Our Father is a
          prime choice.
        • L Baker
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
            I said Female Charecter (sp) because I seem to recall
            the initial post was about a female. As far as the
            Rosary, Well heck :) I ain't no Theologist, Just your
            freindly neighborhood Druid :) I also am rather
            limited in my online time so cannot do to much in
            depth research into the esoterica of a given Prayer
            set. I mentioned the Rosary because it seemed...I
            don;t know...more of a better choice for keeping the
            mind occupied then jusy doin one prayer.

            Brightest of Blessings to You and Yours and YIS

            Fearghus

            BTW thanks for the URL :)

            --- "Sharon L. Krossa"
            <skrossa-ml@...> wrote:
            > At 4:46 PM -0800 10/31/02, L Baker wrote:
            > >I don't Know...wouldn't it be more likely for a
            > Female
            > >Charecter in period to be reciting the Rosary??
            >
            > Why particularly a _female_ character?
            >
            > Note that the Rosary is said to have been revealed
            > to St. Dominic,
            > who died in 1221. (See the online 1913 Catholic
            > Encyclopedia:

            =====
            Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
            (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
              L Baker wrote:

              > I said Female Charecter (sp) because I seem to recall
              > the initial post was about a female.

              Right, but I think what we were getting at is why would a female
              character be any more or less likely to pray the rosary than a male
              character. You seemed to make that suggestion.

              > I mentioned the Rosary because it seemed...I
              > don;t know...more of a better choice for keeping the
              > mind occupied then jusy doin one prayer.

              It would certainly be a good choice for a meditative prayer. However,
              as a meditative prayer it requires a lot of focus. For something just
              to keep you mind occupied while doing other things, a single prayer,
              like the Pater Noster or the Ave Maria, seem to me better choices.

              Of course, this is a question for the author to decide, not us. ;-)
            • kathie buchanan-evans
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2002
                Thank you for posting the beautiful links for the "Our Father"...I have one in Aramaic (the original language during the time of Jesus; not Hebrew)...Will post when I find it.
                Respectfully,
                Kabespir