Re: [albanach] Scottish Catholicism 16th Century

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
      "Sharon L. Krossa" wrote:

      > I'm not sure that this is really going to say very much about
      > character of the Scottish church prior to the Reformation --
      > especially given that the saints date to a much earlier period. In
      > fact, most of them date to before Scotland came into line with the
      > Roman church!

      Sure it will. Because even if the particular saint came from an earlier
      period than you may be interested in, his or her biography may have been
      written at a later date, and it would have been read for centuries
      beyond that. Churches would be built and dedicated to these saints, and
      their cult would prosper and grow, and inspire many devotions. If you
      want to learn about the Church in Scotland, look at the saints that it
      produced, and look at what other people were saying about them. In my
      opinion, if you want to get a good idea of the "character" of the
      Scottish Church, this is the best route to go.

      Even if you want to learn about the state of the Church in 1500, you
      have to have as your background the history of the Church in 1400, 1300,
      1200, and so on, to even begin to make sense of it. So a good grounding
      in the historical background is a must.

      Thanks for the Innes Review reference. Do they have a web page or an
      address for more info?

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2002
        I wrote:

        > Thanks for the Innes Review reference. Do they have a web page or an
        > address for more info?

        Should have just done a web search first. A quick google search gave me
        this:
        http://english.op.org/scotland/edinburgh/innes_review/