[albanach] Re: Re:Name Documentaion/ 10th Cent.

  • Owerglazz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 1999
      In a message dated 5/27/99 2:35:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      krossa@... writes:

      << So are you wanting a 10th century name or a 15th century one? It may make a
      difference for certain names, as seen above. >>

      Good morning:
      10th century and earlier is what i am needing to find. After crusing around
      the Kosa web site and hitting all the name sites from there, i was saddend to
      find that nothing was before 1100's . That is why i posted here, thinking
      maybe somene would see what i was doing wrong and help. (thanks Sharon)

      The other question i had regarding names, is Back in the earlier days, 10th
      century and earlier, did they also do the *Name, daughter of,*fathers name?
      or did they do something differnt. I am assuming that it is this way, just
      with the I added in the daugter of part of the name. (i can't remember
      exactly how "Daugter of" is spelt.. Ineagan, after the 12th century and
      Ineagian before?)

      Thanks again for all your help everyone. I am very greatful.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 1999
        Owerglazz@... wrote: Good morning: 10th century and earlier is what i am
        needing to find.

        There is a great discussion about names on "The Viking Network" at:
        http://viking.no/e/england/danelaw/epl-danelaw.htm

        From this site is a map of the danelaw of 9th and 10th century. I know this is
        for Vikings, but as the Scots, the Vikings used pretty much the same practice. I
        edited a few months back, an article on Viking naming practices. Can I find it on
        their site...not at this moment. Agh! Anyway, go to this site and read it. It
        will help. Also, go to their search engine and type in names or naming. It will
        list several more sites that discuss naming and the practices. If at this point
        you have further questions, please send an e-mail with your specific question to
        Wigo Skramm, the moderator of "The Viking Network" at wigo.h.skramm@...
        He should be able to if not help you, direct you to someone who can help. Let me
        know if I can be of more assistance.
        Ha det sa bra,
        Diana Cosby
        cosby@...

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 1999
          At 10:10 AM -0400 5/27/99, Owerglazz@... wrote:
          >The other question i had regarding names, is Back in the earlier days, 10th
          >century and earlier, did they also do the *Name, daughter of,*fathers name?
          >or did they do something differnt. I am assuming that it is this way, just
          >with the I added in the daugter of part of the name. (i can't remember
          >exactly how "Daugter of" is spelt.. Ineagan, after the 12th century and
          >Ineagian before?)

          To the best of our knowledge, they used X daugther of Y throughout period.
          The usual spelling of "daugther" (not "daugther of" -- the "of" belongs
          with the fathers name) 12th century and earlier is "ingen". Later, the
          standardized spelling is "inghean". In either case, the pronunciation is
          roughly \IN-yen\ or \EEN-yen\ (neither is quite right but they both come
          equally close in different ways) until very late period Scottish Gaelic
          when you find it pronounced \NEE-yen\. Remember that the father's name
          needs to be put in the genitive/possesive case (that's how it acquires the
          meaning "of Y").

          Affrick
          Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
          Medieval Scotland Web Site (including information on names & clothing):
          http://www.stanford.edu/~skrossa/medievalscotland/
          Other names websites:
          Medieval Naming Guides - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
          Academy of S. Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/