Re: [albanach] Re: Greetings all - Introduction

  • Nancy Zupanic
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
      > Hai is the way Hi is written in Gaelic (I don't know who thought that
      > one up) and when addressing someone, the vocative case uses an "a"
      > before someone's name if it starts with a consonant.

      Thank you - that's quite interesting!

      > I have been learning Gaelic for just over a year now, and
      > unfortunatley I was daft enough to try to learn phonetically on my
      > own:) hahahaa
      > so now I am re-learning scots Gaelic.
      > Luckily I have the help from my Clan or I would be lost.

      If I get to learn it, it will be through tapes and books, I'm afraid.
      Though I can chat with one of the kingdom Heralds whenever I see him for
      practise.

      Thanks muchly,

      Morel
      Muirgheal inghean Labhrain

      I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one . . .
    • skye_maclean
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2002
        There is a Kingdom Herald that speaks gaelic? That is great..maybe
        one day I shall be lucky enough to meet him/her and they can help
        correct any of my pronounciation muck ups:)

        btw..what is "Morel"? Mòran taing.

        Tha mi 'n dochas gu math leibh
        Skye

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
          > There is a Kingdom Herald that speaks gaelic? That is great..maybe
          > one day I shall be lucky enough to meet him/her and they can help
          > correct any of my pronounciation muck ups:)

          Yes, indeed. Ciaran Goutte de Sang (sp?) is his proper title. He is a
          pretty awesome herald and an all around nice guy. But don't tell him I said
          that . . . .

          > btw..what is "Morel"? M�ran taing.

          At my first event four years ago I was looking for morel mushrooms. Someone
          said "Morel. That would be a pretty name," and it stuck fast. As I began
          developing a persona, I found that there were few known Scottish Gaelic
          women's names. But Muirgheal was one of them and is pronounced roughly
          MOOR-awl, with the rolling 'r' sound. It was fairly close to Morel, so I
          went for it, even though I was frustrated by frequent mispronounciations.
          Now, Morel has been documented as a name that was used as a masculine
          nickname in England. Since I often wear pants and am chastised accordingly
          by my SCA sisters, it has become an almost suitable, if highly insulting,
          nickname. I am so readily identified by the name that in the past, when
          folks I had helped with heraldry wrote "Morel" as the consulting herald on
          their submissions, the Kingdom Heralds knew who they meant. And now that I
          am one myself, I am called Morel Black Stag.

          If you plan to come down for any events, and I happen to be going, I'll
          introduce you to Ciaran.

          Morel
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            At 1:37 AM -0700 8/15/02, Nancy Zupanic wrote:
            >women's names. But Muirgheal was one of them and is pronounced roughly
            >MOOR-awl, with the rolling 'r' sound. It was fairly close to Morel, so I

            The period Gaelic (as well as modern) pronunciation would be roughly
            \MOOR-yahl\, with the \MOO\ pronounced like the <moo> of English
            sound is coming from the slender <gh>.)

            Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...
          • Nancy Zupanic
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2002
              > The period Gaelic (as well as modern) pronunciation would be roughly
              > \MOOR-yahl\, with the \MOO\ pronounced like the <moo> of English
              > sound is coming from the slender <gh>.)

              Thank you!

              Morel (Muirgheal)