Scott as a first name

  • Scott Cross
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
      Having not heard from anyone, I'm not sure if this site is working any more.

      Question: I have found Irishmen being called "Scotts" in early writings and the name Scotus and other descriptive type names being used, but haas anyone found the name "Scott" being used as a first name prior to the 19th century?

      Scott Cross
      Finn McCroisech O'Breanen

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
        At 9:57 AM -0500 8/12/02, Scott Cross wrote:
        >Having not heard from anyone, I'm not sure if this site is working any more.
        >
        >Question: I have found Irishmen being called "Scotts" in early
        >writings and the name Scotus and other descriptive type names being
        >used, but haas anyone found the name "Scott" being used as a first
        >name prior to the 19th century?

        <Scott> as a given name (first name) is part of the modern trend of
        using surnames as given names. Although there are a few examples
        (using different surnames, not <Scott>) in England in the late 16th
        century, the practice didn't become common until later. I don't know
        when Lowland Scots and/or Anglo-Irish picked up the trend themselves,
        other than that it was no earlier than the 17th century.

        Also, to the best of my knowledge, Gaels (in Ireland or Scotland)
        never really picked up the trend -- it is a feature of (modern)
        English/Scots language naming cultures.

        There are modern Gaelic given names that derive from Lowland/English
        surnames, but this is evidence of Gaels adopting Lowland/English
        given names into Gaelic, not evidence of Gaels adopting surnames as
        given names. For example, in modern Scottish Gaelic there is the
        given name <Du\ghlas>. The path of this name is thus:

        <Dubh Glas> -- an early medieval Gaelic _placename_

        <de Duglas> -- a 12th century Scoto-Norman (not Gaelic) locative _byname_
        taken from the placename
        and indicating that the bearer is of that place

        <Douglas> -- a late medieval inherited _surname_
        developed out of the locative byname
        and indicating that the bearer's father had the same surname

        <Douglas> -- a 16th century English _given name_ (used in England,
        not Scotland)
        taken from the Scottish surname
        first given to an English *girl* who had a close Douglas relative

        <Douglas> -- a modern _given name_ in English speaking countries
        taken either from the English given name or taken independently
        from the surname
        now, of course, a masculine given name

        <Du\ghlas> -- a modern _given name_ in Scottish Gaelic
        taken from the modern given name in English
        and many steps and many centuries removed from the original Gaelic
        place name

        <Scott>, of course, does not derive from Gaelic -- <Scotus> is Latin,
        and later <Scot> is a Scots/English word -- and has not been adopted
        into Gaelic language given names as far as I know.

        All of which is a long winded way of saying that I can't provide any
        examples of <Scott> used as a given (first) name earlier than the
        19th century, except to say that there isn't much point in even
        looking for any examples earlier than 18th or possibly 17th century
        ;-)

        Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...
      • Scott Cross
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
          Sharon,

          Thanks for your learned input as always. It pretty much confirmed what I
          suspected.

          Scott