looking for St Bride.....

  • Collin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30 5:28 AM
      Morning all

      I was wondering if anybody knows anything the Traditions of St Bride in Scotland? I am very aware of Her living traditions in Ireland
      (My Grand da Being very much a Good Irish Catholic) But I know very little of Traditions with in Scotland other then the Prayers that were Documented By Alex Carmichael in the Carimina Gaelica... some papers that some old friends wrote....

      I guess what I'm looking at is did the traditions that grew around Her...(or she around them depending on how you look at it) In Ireland make it over to Scotland....A.E. the Rush Crosses made every year on her feast day?
      The leaving of Gifts or votive offerings at wells Blessing of the households....

      And what of the Mythology...errr folklore did it change any from a Scot Point of view?
      The Story of Her being the Hand maid of Mary and the foster Mother of Christ comes to mind....did these Stories translate?

      Collin

    • Matt Newsome
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30 9:35 AM
        At Thursday, 30 May 2002, you wrote:

        >The Story of Her being the Hand maid of Mary and the foster Mother
        of Christ comes to mind....did these Stories translate?

        I can speak to the fact that this particular story about her is known
        in Scotland modernly (20th century) at least, but I don't know of
        when the tradition started.

        Albanach.org
        Scottish History -- Highland Dress