Old Irish and Highland Dress by H. F. McClintock

  • Collin
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2002
      Just checking knowing how sometimes new materials pop up fro here to there.....is this book still considered
      A primary source or is it been outdated?

      Collin

      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2002
        Collin wrote:

        > Just checking knowing how sometimes new materials pop up fro here to
        > there.....is this book still considered
        > A primary source or is it been outdated?

        This book is still the only one that I know of that has any good amount
        of resources in it for our period of study, which is pre-1600. Great
        resource. Let me know if you need help finding a copy, we sell it in
        our museum gift shop.
      • Collin
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2002

          > This book is still the only one that I know of that has any good amount
          > of resources in it for our period of study, which is pre-1600.

          Thats cool is it the book that they used for osprey book about the Irish
          Armies of that period?
          And I will attempt to stay on on topic....;)

          Great
          > resource. Let me know if you need help finding a copy, we sell it in
          > our museum gift shop.

          Well if thats the case We are going to be swinging up there for your taste
          of Scotland so I can pick it up then...
          (Well we arent coming up just for that but we will be camping the week
          before and we will be coming down through so I thought we could just stick
          around a extra day or 2.....know any good hotel's?

          Slan

          Caelin

          > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
          > your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/list/albanach

        • Scott Cross
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2002
            Collin,

            McClintock's book is still considered very relevant. However, it is
            technically not a "Primary Source" for research. His original sources would
            be considered primary and his work secondary. Also check out Muiread
            Dunleavey's book (sorry about the spelling) on Irish Clothing. It is very
            well researched and is more up to date. It doesn't cover Highland clothing
            specifically, but with the similarities between the two cultures it will
            give you good information on clothing.

            Finn O'Breanen

            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2002
              > McClintock's book is still considered very relevant. However, it is
              > technically not a "Primary Source" for research. His original sources
              would
              > be considered primary and his work secondary. Also check out Muiread
              > Dunleavey's book (sorry about the spelling) on Irish Clothing. It is very
              > well researched and is more up to date. It doesn't cover Highland clothing
              > specifically, but with the similarities between the two cultures it will
              > give you good information on clothing.

              Oh I understand that.....perfectly...But I am looking at doing some earlyer
              impressions (pre 18th cen) and most of my exprences with 16th cen has been
              Spanish stuff....But I have seen McClintocks book referenced alot thats why
              the question....

              Dunleavey's Book what exactly does it cover? and when was it published and
              lastly......do you have a ISBN #?

              Caelin

              Message 6 of 10 , May 30, 2002
                Colin,

                I do not have Dunleavy's book at hand right now, and will not be able to
                give you the details until next Monday. Unless another forum member would
                also happen to have it.

                Finn
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2002
                  At 7:23 AM -0400 5/30/02, Collin wrote:
                  >Just checking knowing how sometimes new materials pop up fro here
                  >to there.....is this book still considered
                  >A primary source or is it been outdated?

                  Well, it was never a primary source because it is a modern work
                  discussing the evidence, not original evidence itself. (I've just
                  been discussing the meaning of "primary source" vs. "secondary work"
                  on another forum -- a primary source is evidence, which for medieval
                  historians means anything produced medievally, while a secondary
                  source is a something that discusses medieval history, and so a
                  modern history book.)

                  However, McClintock will remain a useful secondary work because in it
                  he actually quotes and includes pictures of the evidence. So even if
                  one does not agree with his interpretations, his citation of the
                  evidence is useful. (One of the reasons why I recommend his book is
                  that you don't have to rely on his interpretations just on faith --
                  you can see what he based them on.)

                  I also recommend Dunbar -- I think he is better at the
                  interpretations. However, Dunbar doesn't include some of the quotes
                  and/or pictures in McClintock because he figures you can see them in
                  McClintock...

                  Anyone serious about researching the topic really should read both
                  McClintock and Dunbar.

                  Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...
                • Matt Newsome
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 30, 2002
                    At Thursday, 30 May 2002, you wrote:

                    >Well if thats the case We are going to be swinging up there for
                    your taste
                    >of Scotland so I can pick it up then...

                    Only have one copy left in stock at the moment. Let me know if you'd
                    like me to hold it for you.
                    Aye,
                    Eogan (or Matt . . . Eogan doesn't work here. ;-)

                    Albanach.org
                    Scottish History -- Highland Dress
                  • Scott Cross
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Collin,

                      Beside McClintock, the other book I mentioned was Mairead Dunlevy's "Dress
                      in Ireland: A History" ISBN 1-898256-84-5. She is the textile curator at the
                      National Museum in Dublin. The book covers from 750 bce through 1930.

                      Finn
                    • mikelynnechris@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
                        Hi,

                        I wonder if you can do me a favour.I would like to take a rest from the group
                        for a little while.Can you please remove me from the list.

                        Regards

                        Ian McDougall.