Re: [albanach] Re: Tighearna / Ban-tighearna

    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2002
      At 8:29 AM -0700 5/1/02, Muirghein wrote:
      >But OK, given that the Gaels didn't have/use feudal titles,

      What "given" is this? If by "feudal titles", you mean titles like the
      English and French and Lowland Scottish, then yes indeed the Scottish
      Gaels had such titles. (There wasn't, however, anything particularly
      "feudal" about them.)

      >but that in our
      >Society there are people with Gaelic names who _do_ have titles, what is
      >your suggestion? In period as I understand, any Gael who became a Count or
      >a Duke or etc. would probably have gotten the title from the English,

      Well, not if they were Scottish Gaels, I wouldn't think -- at least
      not normally. In Ireland that was probably true, however.

      >and
      >so would likely have gone to (if they weren't already using) an Anglicized
      >form of their name,

      Names *and titles* were translated to suit the language being used at
      the time. So the Earl of Argyll was the "Earl of Argyll" in Scots and
      English, but in Gaelic he was "Iarrla Errghaodheal" and the like (as
      he actually shows up in a surviving treaty written in Gaelic in
      Scotland from the 16th century).

      >but in the SCA we don't have to cave to the sensenach
      >(sp?) like that ;-).

      It's not "caving to the Sassanach" -- it's being medieval ;-)

      >I suppose we could just use the English titles, in which case I'd be Lady
      >Muirghein Dhaire and my husband, Lord Rodhlánn Ó Ceallacháin. Personally,
      >thought, I prefer having the titles in Gaelic to match the name. Then the
      >question for people who want to do this becomes: what words in Gaelic do we
      >use to denote the titles for our admittedly-non-period SCA ranks?

      See my other post. But until someone sits down and does the work, for
      the time being, I see nothing wrong with using <Tighearna Eoghan> or
      <Baintighearna Muirghean>, etc., for names that are actually in
      Gaelic (including being in Gaelic spelling -- for Anglicized names, I
      would recommend <Lord> and <Lady>).

      Sharon, ska Effrick
      --
      Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...