Appropriate term Clan or Tribe

  • sallypainterauthor
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      I'm trying to wade through several resources for 6th century Pict.
      And of course, there is scant information.

      But I hope this is a fairly easy question. Would it be correct for a
      character of this time period to refer to her/his tribe instead of
      clan?

      Thanks,
      Sally Painter
    • Dblackthistle8@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        for what it is worth...I have read research materials where it is used
        synonymously...either would be appropriate....Dblackthistle
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
          At 3:27 PM +0000 4/2/02, sallypainterauthor wrote:
          >I'm trying to wade through several resources for 6th century Pict.
          >And of course, there is scant information.
          >
          >But I hope this is a fairly easy question. Would it be correct for a
          >character of this time period to refer to her/his tribe instead of
          >clan?

          I think it is pretty darn hard to say what would be appropriate --
          any term you choose is going to bring with it most likely
          inappropriate 21st century assumptions about it's significance,
          unfortunately, and I don't know that anyone knows what the Picts had
          or called what they had...

          That being said, I wouldn't use "clan" because for most of period
          that is a specifically Gaelic cultural term and the Picts were not
          Gaels. Even when it came to be used for some non-Gaelic groups in the
          16th century, it was still in very Scottish specific contexts --
          contexts that did not include Picts. Using "clan" to refer to things
          Pictish will probably just add to the confusion about historical
          clans in period.

          So, my advice, unless you come across some evidence that Picts
          themselves used "clan" in their own language (not just some word that
          modern English speakers translate "clan"), I wouldn't use it.

          But then, I'm picky ;-)

          Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...