Re: [albanach] Digest Number 347 post 3

  • CAROLE A MOORE
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
      Hi Matthew. Thanks for your reply. I did join the clan list, as you
      suggested. The list and the web page were very informative. In a way,
      my post to this page was not so much about tracking my WV ancestors, as
      it was the more ancient history of the clan. I am involved in SCA
      historical re-enactment and am interested in Scottish history of the time
      period discussed on this page. I do know the general history of the Clan
      MacQuarrie, but I have been unable to dig for more than that so far. I
      would like my persona for SCA to be somehow related to the clan. I guess
      what I would like to know is how members of the clan would have dressed,
      names that may have been used (first and last), etc. I know from reading
      Sharon's articles on the web that MacQuarrie would not have been the
      actual last name I would have used. Since the clan migrated from the
      higlands to the Isles of Mull and Ulva, would they have retained highland
      dress and culture? I know I haven't narrowed the time period down for
      you much and I'm sorry for being vague, but I haven't nailed that down
      for myself, either. I'm thinking somewhere between the thirteenth and
      fifteenth century, but I'm not sure yet. Any guidance that group members
      could give me, such as what would be a good period to study, and the like
      would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Carole
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Matt Newsome
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
        Depending on the exact period of course, one
        would find the dress of the inhabitants of the
        inner Hebrides (Mull, Ulva, Iona, etc -- the
        area that you would be concerned with if your
        persona was a member of the MacQuarrie clan) to
        be predominantly Gaelic, that is Highland,
        influenced at times by Viking dress depending on
        the time period. Vikings did settle Ulva at one
        time. There is evidence to suggest that they
        are the ones who gave it its name.

        As for naming practices, Sharon is a great
        resource for helping put together an authentic
        west Highland and Isles name. We'll be glad to
        work with you on the list about it. Have you
        thought any about a name yet?

        You can look at the history of the area and see
        what names come up. Of course, female names
        will be harder to come by. My own name, for
        instance, Eogan Og, is appropriate. One of the
        older tombstones on Iona was for a Eogan, and
        there is a "Eogan's Church" on Ulva. "Og" is a
        descriptive byname that pops up often among the
        Lords of the Isles, so I know it was used in the
        region as well.

        Let us know if you have any specifric
        questions. You are doing good by narrowing down
        a place and time. A lot of people start out
        simply by saying they want a "Scottish" name and
        haven't even thought about anything beyond
        that! Having a narrow focus makes it easier to
        create an authentic persona.

        Matthew A. C. Newsome
        Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum
        Clan MacQuarrie
        -
        SCA: Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn
        Sacred Stone Persuivant
        -
        WWW.ALBANACH.ORG
        -
        1 out of every 4 babies in America dies of
        CHOICE