[albanach] Introduction

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 1999
      Hello all! Now that this list has been in existance for about a week, I
      thought I would take some time out to introduce myself to you all and tell you
      a little about my aims for this list.

      I am Eoghan {O'}g Mac Labhrainn, and I reside in the Barony of the Sacred
      Stone in the Kingdom of Atlantia. I have been in the SCA for about 6 years
      now, and have had a Scots Highland persona from the beginning. I have been
      interested in all things Scottish probably since I was 13 years old and a
      friend took me to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games for the first time.
      I had always been interested in things medieval since I was a child, and when
      I found the SCA, it just seemed like the perfect opportunity for the two
      interests to mix.

      Mundanely, my name is Matthew Allen Newsome, and I work in Franklin, NC, as
      the curator and historical consultant for the Scottish Tartans Museum, the USA
      extension of the Scottish Tartans Museum in Edinburgh. My job involved
      helping others find the answers to their questions about Highland Dress, but
      we also serve as a general Scottish heritage center for the area. Researching
      other people's questions has probably taught me the most about Scottish
      culture and history (more than any book or class, for sure!). Because my job
      focuses mostly on the evolution of the kilt and the tartan, I find that I
      spend most of my resources at work researching 17th and 18th century dress, as
      well as modern dress. Which is why, in the SCA, I often enjoy the opportuntiy
      to explore earlier periods.

      My primary areas of study so far have been 16th century Scots Gaelic dress,
      the Scottish Wars of Independance, and Scottish vocal music. More recently, I
      have become very interested in the history of the Lordship of the Isles. My
      persona is based (I say) in the 14th century, in the Western Highlands, but
      you will find me in 16th century dress just as often as not. As you can tell,
      I am interested in all aspects of Scottish history and culture, which was one
      of the reasons for starting Clan Albanach.

      My real intentions are education (both helping educate others, and the
      completely selfish motive of wishing to learn from the vast knowledge of
      others). I also see us as being a good resource for the newcomer who is
      interested in developing a Scottish persona. I see too many people who have
      grown up on _Highlander_ episods, and join the SCA after renting _Braveheart_
      . They show up in a poor imitation of a feilidh-mhor, wearing blue make up,
      and have a japanese katana strapped to their side. ;-) I often find that
      these people are not chemically imbalanced (j/k), but they simply are doing
      the bestthey can with the knowledge they have. Often if they are approached
      with the offer of assistance (kindly and politely) they are more than eager to
      gobble up whatever information you have to offer. I see us as a place the
      newcomer can come to and learn.

      This list is only the beginning stages of a project I hope will grow and
      evolve over the years. I want to put a newsletter out with articles
      pertaining to medieval Scottish history and culture, covering more than just
      kilts and bagpipes (although those are fine topics!). (Anyone wishing to
      submit articles for the first issue, take that as a hint ;-) I see us haveing
      demos, themed encampments, parties with the best Scotch!

      So, I invite everyone to join in, ask questions, share research, and most
      importantly of all, learn and grow.

      Aa the best!

      Aye,
      Eo
      Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
      Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
      <A HREF="http://www3.wcu.edu/~mn13189/sca.htm">
      http://www3.wcu.edu/~mn13189/sca.htm</A>
      Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/albanach
    • EilidhOg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 1999
        Greetings! I thought that while Eogan was at it, I would introduce myself as
        well. My name is Eilidh Og and I am currently living in the fair kingdom of
        Caid. I was introduced to the SCA about 3 years ago by Eogan, and I spent my
        first couple of years in the society in Atlantia (which I miss very much).
        Eogan infected me with his love of Scotland, so my persona is also a 14th
        century Scot. My primary interests are in the role of the common woman in
        Scotland during the middle ages, and in different customs of marriage and
        childrearing during our period. As soon as I get some free time I am planning
        on puttying my research on the subjects down on paper and sending them to
        Eogan so that he can get the information out to anybody that is interested. I
        am also becoming more involved in making proper garb for my persona, and would
        truly appreciate any imput that any of you have.

        Aye,
        Eilidh

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/albanach
      • H Baxter
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2000
          Please allow me to introduce myself. I have been "lurking" for a
          couple of weekks.

          My name is Heather and I am 3rd generation American. My father's
          family is from the Glasgow region of Scotland.

          I play SCA in Tucson AZ. My persona is a 16th century Lass from
          Stirling, Perthshire.

          In Service to the Dream,
          Hellyn MacGillebride
          commonly known as Hellyn of Stirling.
        • Rowen G
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2000
            Greetings, my lady. May you enjoy the list.

            Rowen

            --- In albanach@egroups.com, "H Baxter" <malkin7@a...> wrote:
            > Please allow me to introduce myself. I have been "lurking" for a
            > couple of weekks.
            >
            > My name is Heather and I am 3rd generation American. My father's
            > family is from the Glasgow region of Scotland.
            >
            > I play SCA in Tucson AZ. My persona is a 16th century Lass from
            > Stirling, Perthshire.
            >
            > In Service to the Dream,
            > Hellyn MacGillebride
            > commonly known as Hellyn of Stirling.
          • Seonaid
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
              Hi,

              I am new to the list and come from Perthshire, central Scotland. I
              enjoy studying Scottish history and am researching the Picts. I was
              born in St.Andrews, which was one of the Picts main areas of
              residence.

              I am also a keen photographer and have many hundreds of natural
              pictures of the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland.

              I look forward to be here, Thanks Seonaid
            • mikelynnechris@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
                Hi Seonaid. Welcome to the group. I joined the group recently too although I
                haven,t seen many posts.
                I am from Markinch in Fife and love Scottish history. I am hoping to learn a
                lot from the group and hopefully I will be able to contribute something.

                Regards

                Ian McDouagll
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
                  Seonaid wrote:  I am new to the list and come from Perthshire, central Scotland. I enjoy studying Scottish history and am researching the Picts. I was born in St.Andrews, which was one of the Picts main areas of residence.  I am also a keen photographer and have many hundreds of natural pictures of the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland.  I look forward to be here.

                  Seonaid,
                      Welcome to the albanach list serve.  I am a romance writer and am currently writing books set in 'The Bruce' era.  I know you'll enjoy your time here.
                  Diana Cosby
                  wulfe6@...

                • Gaheris
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 17, 2005
                    Greetings;
                    I am a new member so wanted to introduce myself. My family name is
                    Mac Dubh Ghaill. I was born and live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
                    My grandparents on both sides emigrated here from Scotland before
                    WW I.

                    I have a life long interest in my heritage,the history, the people the
                    land, the old ways. I have been following a Spiritual Path for some
                    years based on the ancient beliefs of my Celt/Scot Ancestors. My
                    daughter is working on a family tree and has this complete back five
                    generations. I have always loved the music especially that of the
                    Highland Pipes. I fullfilled a lifelong ambiton a few years back and
                    learned to play the pipes.I now play for fun and with a local Pipes &
                    Drums Band.

                    I look forward to meeting all of you, learning from you and
                    contributing where I am able to.

                    Gaheris
                    http://paganjourney.cjb.net
                  • Joy L Fisher
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 17, 2005
                      Welcome, Gaheris. Glad to see you joined :)
                      Blessings,
                      Joy
                      > I am a new member so wanted to introduce myself. My family name is
                      > Mac Dubh Ghaill. I was born and live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
                      > My grandparents on both sides emigrated here from Scotland before
                      > WW I.
                      >
                      > I have a life long interest in my heritage,the history, the people the
                      > land, the old ways. I have been following a Spiritual Path for some
                      > years based on the ancient beliefs of my Celt/Scot Ancestors. My
                      > daughter is working on a family tree and has this complete back five
                      > generations. I have always loved the music especially that of the
                      > Highland Pipes. I fullfilled a lifelong ambiton a few years back and
                      > learned to play the pipes.I now play for fun and with a local Pipes &
                      > Drums Band.
                      >
                      > I look forward to meeting all of you, learning from you and
                      > contributing where I am able to.
                      >
                      > Gaheris
                      > http://paganjourney.cjb.net

                      > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.