Re: [albanach] Probabilties...

  • joyce mackenzie-hirasawa
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
      >What was the probabilty of a Scots person going on a pilgrimage to the Holy
      >land in the 1300-1400's? Especially a woman?

      Geez, I'm sorry I didn't really answer the question did I?...a good place to
      get an idea of just how much traffic there was between Scotland and the Holy
      land is to look into the History of the Knights of St. John (of Rhodes). I
      can't do links but here's the URL

      www.saintjohn.org/priory.htm

      By the 1300's the order was well established in Scotland. Initially, this
      order was a semi-religious organization with its members taking vows of
      obedience, chastity and poverty for the purpose of ministering to pilgrims
      travelling to the Holy Lands. With more incidents of pilgrims being
      attacked, robbed and enslaved by the Moslems, the Hospitaliers quickly
      changed out of necessity to a great military organization. Also, you might
      look into the history of the Knights Templar - their raison d'etre,
      secretive as it was, lies in the Holy Land.

      Anyways, here's an interesting Scot who travelled to the Holy Land in the
      1400's:

      Colin Campbell was the son of Sir Duncan Campbell and his wife Margaret, a
      granddaughter of King Robert 111. He was known as Cailean dubh na Roimhe -
      Black Colin of Rome. The reference to Rome signifies that he visited Rome 3
      times. Black Colin was responsible for much of the building of Kilchurn
      Castle, which sits at the Northern end of Loch Awe. When Colin learned of
      the Crusades he took ship at Leith where after he travelled to Rome. He had
      an audience with the Pope and left joining the Knights of St. John of
      Rhodes.

      Hope this helps!

      Joyce

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
        joyce mackenzie-hirasawa wrote:

        > When Colin learned of
        > the Crusades he took ship at Leith where after he travelled to Rome.
        > He had
        > an audience with the Pope and left joining the Knights of St. John of
        > Rhodes.

        There is a book I want to get my hands on but I beleive went out of
        print recently. It's called _Scotland and the Crusades_ and is by Alan
        Macquarrie, a prominant Scottish medievalist. It's supposed to be a
        great book on this topic, if anyone can find a copy.
      • rowen_g
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2002
          --- In albanach@y..., "Matthew A. C. Newsome" <eogan@a...> wrote:

          > There is a book I want to get my hands on but I beleive went out of
          > print recently. It's called _Scotland and the Crusades_ and is by
          Alan
          > Macquarrie, a prominant Scottish medievalist. It's supposed to be a
          > great book on this topic, if anyone can find a copy.
          > Aye,
          > Eogan

          At least a dozen copies for sale at: http://www.bookfinder.com/

          Looks interesting.