Re: [albanach] hunting and camping in the highlands

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2002
      At 7:55 PM -0700 1/9/02, Charles Long wrote:
      >Thanks for the history lesson. I'm not a historian and you brought up a lot
      >of points I never thought of.

      Well, to put things in perspective, despite being a trained
      historian, _I_ never thought of these things until I really started
      to get into researching and examining the evidence for the kilt and
      "great kilt" and had to really test the evidence to deal not only
      with trying to get answers, but address the many myths and legends.
      Over the last 5 or 6 years, I have come more and more to realize and
      appreciate the serious problems there are with a lot of the evidence
      that is commonly cited as evidence regarding medieval Highland
      clothing. Very rarely do any of the books, articles, or web pages
      that cite the texts or depictions/drawings ever look carefully at the
      surrounding context; they tend to just look at the specific words or
      specific picture and take it at face value, without considering
      whether the source is claiming to be describing/drawing something
      they have actually seen, or something that happened long ago, or
      whatever.

      It is rather frustrating when you're trying to find the answer to a
      question, though, isn't it!

      What you might look for is a 16th or 17th century text that talks
      about Lowlanders going into the Highlands for hunting and such and
      dressing as the natives do. This text might talk about some of the
      details of hunting in the late period Highlands that you're looking
      for (and, if I recall correctly, was written by someone who had done
      it -- mind you, I could be recalling incorrectly about that!). But I
      can't recall who wrote it or what book I found it in -- Eogan might
      know the reference, though.

      Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...