Re: [albanach] Feathers on Bonnets

  • Matt Newsome
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      Replying to the question on feathers, Sharon wrote:

      >Modernly there is significance, but as far as we have been able to
      >gather, this is modern -- that is, there isn't any evidence for it in
      >the Middle Ages/Renaissance. (The modern significance is the number
      >of feathers indicates rank -- I believe 3 for a chief, etc.) The use
      >of feathers in 17th & 18th century pictures seems to be just the
      >decorative fashion of the day and not significant of anything but
      >being fashionable (you'll notice use of feathers in English headgear
      >of those times, too).

      And I would add that the specific type of feather is important, as
      well. It is the large, erect eagle feathers that signify rank.
      Smaller, or more "decorative" feathers are just that--decorative.

      I have a question for the list. When I tell people that the use
      of feathers to identify rank is post-period, they inevitably ask
      when the use began. To that I have no answer. Does anyone know
      when feathers were first used in this regard?

      Albanach.org
      Scottish History -- Highland Dress