Re: [albanach] Scottish Place Names?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2001
      At 8:17 AM -0500 12/26/01, Matt Newsome wrote:
      >At Tuesday, 25 December 2001, you wrote:
      >
      > >Does anyone on this list have one of those books
      > >on etymology of placenames? I'm trying to figure
      > >out if two places in Scotland existed in period -
      >[snip]
      > I'm
      > >looking into Rowanside and Rowenside
      >
      >I looked in both _Scotland's Place-names_ by David Dorward, and _Scottish
      >Place Names_ by George Mackay, and neither of them listed "Rowan-
      >" anything. I've got one more book I might try looking in when I
      >get to work. I'll let you know if I find anything.

      What is really needed is

      Johnston, James B. Place-Names of Scotland. 3rd ed. East Ardsley,
      England: S. R. Publishers, 1970.

      Johnston gives not only place names and his etymologies (which aren't
      always all that trustworthy), but (of most use) he gives dated period
      spellings of the place names listed. Only by finding a dated period
      example of the place name can you determine for sure whether it
      existed in period (and, of course, in what form it existed in period
      ;-) The etymology of a place name isn't all that helpful for
      determining whether it is period or not (there are some purely modern
      place names that look period).

      But do note, as indicated, that Johnston's etymologies are not always
      reliable -- his usefulness is in the dated examples.

      Sharon L. Krossa, krossa@...