Re: Late period Scottish costume (getting long)

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2001
      --- In albanach@y..., Matt Newsome <eogan@a...> wrote:
      > At Monday, 26 November 2001, you wrote:
      >
      > >Decorative patterns in existing 16th - e 17th c Scottish brooches
      <snip>

      > This may or may not be within yoru capacity, but it would be
      wonderful
      > if you could scan in some of these motifs and provide brief
      documentation
      > of where they are from, so thayt those of us who want to do any kind
      > of decorative work with documentably period patterns coudl use them
      > as a resource. Either put them in the groups file sectiopn at
      Yahoo,
      > or I would be glad to host them off the Albanach.org web space.
      > I think this would be a very useful thing for SCAdians and other
      > reenactors.
      > Aye,
      > Eogan

      I'll see what I can do once the books and notes re-emerge (and get my
      pictures developed - the Museum allows photography.) Unfortunately,
      once I finish moving I will no longer be living with a scanner, but I
      think I can access one at work or borrow a friend's.

      Rowen
    • kiarapanther1
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2001
        --- In albanach@y..., Quadriga <trolhaus@v...> wrote:
        <snip>
        > The Irish and their cousins in the Scottish highlands were
        infamous for
        > their highly decorated costume, so recreating this costume is an
        > embroiderers dream. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing in the
        way
        > of contemporary pictoral evidence of which shows any details as to
        the
        > types of stitch work done or much more specific than that they
        used a
        > lot of gold work and beads/jewels in the bodice/sleeves. In the
        > versions of this dress that I've made, I've attempted to draw from
        > embroidery and manuscript art from slightly earlier in the century.
        >
        > You can see some pictures of my work at:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Jongloresse/SCA/costume.htm
        >
        > I hope that helps.
        >
        > -Rowan ni Ruari
        > (mka. Brenda Colosa

        Oh so pretty!!! I'm adding this to my links on my Irish Page
        http://www.angelfire.com/zine/kiarapanther/garb/irish.html

        I really like the second one.....I will get mine resewn eventually
        so that I can embellish it with in an inch of its life.
        http://www.angelfire.com/zine/kiarapanther/project/project.html
        Once I get this one put back together I plan on running a vine motif
        all around the neck and down the front of the bodice and putting
        jewels on the half-sleeves. And eventually embroidering the inside
        of the split skirt.

        --Kiara/Ciar