Clan Crests/Seals

  • Julie Stackable
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 11:25 PM
      Greetings all - I wanted to ask if anyone had a
      copy of William McDonald's 'Scottish Armorial
      Seals' from 1904 or knew that they could get it
      through interlibrary loan ( I can't here). I am
      doing some research on the history of clan
      crests, why some changed, when they changed, for
      instance, to try and figure out which, if any,
      are period. i.e. Hepburn modern crest is a
      horse's head but in the 1560's was a hare.... If
      anyone has this book or can get if from the
      library I was looking for copies of any 15th and
      16th century seals (of course, if this time
      period covers 150 pages, I would scale down my
      request). I would be happy to pay for copying and
      postage. Also if anyone has any good info to
      share on clan crests I would appreciate it, there
      is very little I can find on the internet other
      than companies selling the badges!
      Toujours a vos ordres,

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/