[albanach] video review

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 7:58 AM
      ;-) Hous aa?

      Well, I just finished watching a fairly humourour video prepared by Chivalry
      Sports, and I thought I would post my thoughts on it in case anyone was
      considering investing in it.

      Chivalry Sports is an outfit in AZ that makes historic(ish) clothing for
      reenactors, and has some Scottish offerings. In our museum gift shop, we
      stock a few of thier items that we can't find anywhere else. They are not
      the most historically accurate, but for most people's purposes, they are
      passing.

      In a recent catalog we noticed a video entitles "The Secret to Wearing Your
      Kilt" which proported to be an instructional tape on how to wear the belted
      plaid. We thought we would bring a copy in and see how useful it was. I
      just previewed it.

      If you are looking for a chuckle, this will do it for you. It is very
      amatuer, and it is hosted by two guys with very fake Scottish accents,
      speaking in scripted and unrehearsed dialog. My favourite section is where
      one of the guys is talking about what to wear under your kilt. He finishes
      by saying, "Or you could chose to go r-r-r-r-r-regimental. R-r-r-egimental
      is the old word for wearing nothing under your kilt. I, personally, prefer
      to go r-r-r-regimental." At this point, a young girl comes out grinning and
      says (with bedroom eyes at the camera) "Just knowing that makes a man in a
      kilt soooo attractive!"

      Humourous dialog aside, there are some major innacuraices in the video. It
      is obvious that they are repeating information that they have picked up in
      the course of reenacting and have done little or no primary research. When
      they pleat the feilidh-mhor, for instance, they show youhow to pleat to
      stripe for military wear, and pleat to sett for civilian wear--a practice not
      done until the kilt became a tailored garment in the 1800's.

      One of the grossest innacuracies I saw was when one of the hosts was
      desribing his 17th century outfit. Then he says he will take a look at an
      earlier period, and out walks a man dressed in a fairly well done outfit for
      a Higlander in the late 16th century. The host then proceeds to tell us that
      this was a 12th to 13th century outfit, similar to those worn by Wallace's
      troops. This simply shows the lack of research done in this project. What
      boggled me was how someone could do the research needed to make a 16th
      century costume and yet not know it was 16th century.

      They include with the video a booklet with definitions of Scottish clothing
      terms. One interesting one that caught my eye was their definition of a
      sporran. Apparantly, they beleivee that the sporran evolved from a small,
      leather covered, wooden sheild that was worn over the crotch to protect the
      groin in battle. I have no idea where they pulled that tid-bit from. ;-)

      Another thing that made me wonder about the merits of the video was one of
      the host's names. You see, it is spelled differnetly in the booklet, on the
      video cover, and in the credits at the end of the video. Shoddy editing to
      blame I beleive.

      So, my conclusion is this: The video does have value for humour. And, being
      fair, if you ahve no idea how to but on the belted plaid, this video will
      show you how to do it. But if you are relying on it as a source for accurate
      costuming information, you simply cannot trust it.

      Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
      Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7547/eogan.html
      Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
      http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
      "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/albanach
    • James A Neill
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14 1:27 PM
        Thanks for reviewing the video. I was thinking about getting it, but now
        I won't! :-{)>
        Aye,
        Drew

        Drew Neill History/Religious Studies Elon College
        Sloan 105 (336) 538-3607 Campus Box 4700
        The happiest women, like the happiest nations, have no history.
        -George Eliot

        On Thu, 13 May 1999 10:58:58 EDT EoganOg@... writes:
> [...]
        >will
        >show you how to do it. But if you are relying on it as a source for
        >accurate
        >costuming information, you simply cannot trust it.
        >
        >Aye,
        >Eogan
        >Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
        >Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
        >Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
        >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7547/eogan.html
        >Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
        >mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
        >ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
        >"A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375

        >!! FREE !! DOWNLOAD NOW !!
        >Animated Interactive Cartoon Character for Windows.

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/albanach