[albanach] mundane happenings

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 1999
      Sine this list has apparantle taken a break (I guess while all the college
      students wind up for the end of the semester), I thought I would intrude with
      a little mundane matter of interest.

      Thursday, May 6, 1999, members of Parliament will be voted on in Scotland for
      the new Scottish Parliament in Holyrood.

      Wednesday, May 12, 1999, the new Scottish Parliament will sit formally,
      although it will not take it's full powers until July 1.

      This will be the first time in almost 300 years that Scotland will have its
      own Parliament.

      Those interested may wish to keep an eye on the BBC for results.

      "O cam aa ye at hame wi freedome,
      Never heed whit the hoodies croak for doom."
      --Hamish Henderson

      "A! Fredome is a noble thing!"
      --John Barbour

      Aye,
      Eogan Og
      Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
      Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7547/eogan.html
      Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
      http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
      "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/albanach
    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 1999
        Vivat Scotia!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 1999
          In a message dated 5/7/99 6:20:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JBRMM266@...
          writes:

          > Vivat Scotia!

          Viviat!

          And another (period) tid bit about Scottish Parliaments.... Robert the
          Bruce's Parliaments were representative (of a sort). His "full Parliament"
          included not only earls and barons, but also burgesses and free tenants of
          his kingdom. So, did a Scot come up with representative Parliament? Hardly.
          He got the idea from no other than Edward I of England. ;-)

          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 1999
            Weel, gie the deil his due . . .

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/albanach