Re: garb question..

  • Nancy Howell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2001
      Dear Karen-
      Have also read that Lowland fashions were indeed lagging behind the English.
      As long as you have continuity in your garb, the authenticity nazis should
      not bother you...I've yet to meet any hardcores who presume to criticize.
      I'm a 1540 myself...and do early tudor. Mainly to show the timeframe of my
      persona. We do alot of demos here in Texas, and I've found few mundanes who
      really question your "look". They just don't have the knowledge base we
      Scadians do!!!
      So-It seems any style between 1450-1530 would be ok. It's your choice as to
      what you prefer. Being a Noble persona (I'm guessing by this you mean that
      you want to have fabulous garb...)you may want to try to be as "current" as
      you can. Assuming that your persona would have access to fine fabrics,
      trimmings, & perhaps the "latest" styles from Court..
      you can have "wundergarb"!!!
      Hope this helps...just another opinion in the bucket!
      Nan Turnbull

      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2001
        At 06:33 AM 5/10/2001, you wrote:
        >Dear Karen-
        >Have also read that Lowland fashions were indeed lagging behind the English.
        >As long as you have continuity in your garb, the authenticity nazis should
        >not bother you...I've yet to meet any hardcores who presume to criticize.
        >I'm a 1540 myself...and do early tudor. Mainly to show the timeframe of my
        >persona. We do alot of demos here in Texas, and I've found few mundanes who
        >really question your "look". They just don't have the knowledge base we
        >Scadians do!!!

        Tell me about it! I can go into a store when I'm dressed for an event,
        wearing a gown with a cyclas (the tabbard-y thing that curves our a little
        at the bottom instead of being straight), or in a sideless surcoat, and
        have people ask me if I'm with the Renaissance Faire :-).

        In Service,
        Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire an Faoilciarach /|\
        Blue Mountain Cornet (herald) and Dreiburgen Web Minister
        http://www.dreiburgen.org (ICQ 12594533)
        (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official opinions
        unless specifically stated otherwise)