New to the group - SCA and Albanach

  • scarlet_hunter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      Good Morning Everybody.

      My name is Karen and I live in SW Pennsylvania. I am new to the SCA
      and to the list, so forgive my lack of knowledge at this point.
      I have decided on a mid 16th century, Scottish Lowland *noble*
      persona and am still doing research as to names, garb, etc. I have
      had a hard time finding dress info, but that seems to be the trend
      according to everything that I have found so far.

      A question to you all... Is it possible for me to set up my persona
      so that "her" father was from... say the Lothian area...whereas her
      mother was from the Highlands? What roadblocks do you think I would
      run into as far as name and dress?

      Thank you all!
      Karen
    • McGrath
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        Hi Karen.
        The 16th century Lowlands is a fascinating subject. Different language
        (Scot) religious conflicts, etc.

        At the beginning of the century under James IV, Scotland was at it's peak,
        with his defeat at Flodden, Scotland spent the rest of the century looking
        back and struggling forward.

        Enjoy your study,

        Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2001
          scarlet_hunter@... wrote:  My name is Karen and I live in SW Pennsylvania. I am new to the SCA and to the list, so forgive my lack of knowledge at this point.  I have decided on a mid 16th century, Scottish Lowland *noble* persona and am still doing research as to names, garb, etc. I have had a hard time finding dress info, but that seems to be the trend according to everything that I have found so far.

          ~Karen, welcome to the albanach list serve. I'm a romance writer, am researching 'The Bruce' era and loving it. Great to meet you.
          Diana Cosby
          wulfe6@...
           http://www.erols.com/cosby/diana.html

        • mikelynnechris@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2001
            Hi Karen,

            I,m fairly new to the group too. I,m no expert however I have been reading
            Scottish history for around 10 years. Hopefully I can be of some help.

            Regards

            Ian , Cameron McDougall

            Fife,Scotland