Scots/Gaelic Name Sources?

  • Lee & Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      Greetings Unto the List!

      I've been lurking for some time now, and am ready to delurk to ask a
      question. I'm thinking about getting back into the SCA after about a 10
      year absence, and want to do a late period (Elizabethan, for lack of a
      better term) persona. I used to be known as Arabella of Thornwood, but I
      would like to change that to something more appropriate. I know Arabella is
      actually a Scots name, but I understand it to be Lowlands Scots. Does
      anyone know of any good sources for Highlands Gaelic names, preferably with
      a chance of documentation for SCA purposes? (I checked the SCA heraldry
      links, and really didn't find anything there.) Or should I just stay with
      Arabella, and change the rest of the name to something more appropriate?
      Any hints, thoughts, comments would be sincerely appreciated.

      Susan (looking for herself)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
        At 8:27 AM -0500 4/1/2001, Lee & Susan wrote:
        >Greetings Unto the List!
        >
        >I've been lurking for some time now, and am ready to delurk to ask a
        >question. I'm thinking about getting back into the SCA after about a 10
        >year absence, and want to do a late period (Elizabethan, for lack of a
        >better term) persona. I used to be known as Arabella of Thornwood, but I
        >would like to change that to something more appropriate. I know Arabella is
        >actually a Scots name, but I understand it to be Lowlands Scots. Does
        >anyone know of any good sources for Highlands Gaelic names, preferably with
        >a chance of documentation for SCA purposes? (I checked the SCA heraldry
        >links, and really didn't find anything there.) Or should I just stay with
        >Arabella, and change the rest of the name to something more appropriate?
        >Any hints, thoughts, comments would be sincerely appreciated.

        Try the articles at my web site and the Medieval Names Archive -- from my sig:

        Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
        http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
        The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
        Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/

        If you find one you like, do ask again about it specifically -- I
        have more info than is currently posted in articles. Also, note that
        the number of known women's names to choose from is limited and part
        of the reason is because most women in the 16th century used one of a
        relatively small number of names (and likewise for men) -- which
        names they used, of course, did vary by Highland or Lowland, but the
        general trend seems to have been the same.

        Sharon
        Sharon Krossa, krossa@...