Fwd: Clan Somhairle research assistance

  • bankss@einetwork.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2001
      Greetings,

      I am looking for any information, references, source material, etc.
      regarding the status/activities of the Clann Somhairle (i.e. the
      descendents of Somerled - the MacDonalds, MacDougalls, MacRuaries) in
      Ireland from the time period following Somerled's death (c.1164) to
      the period immediatley following the Bruce invasion (c. 1320-25).

      What I am interested in is how the members of these kindreds fit into
      the Gaelic aristocracy of the time and how the native Gaelic Irish
      regarded them and their activities from a purely Irish perspective
      within the larger Gaelic polity of Ireland and Scotland, as opposed
      how they were regarded from a Scottish, or Anglo-Scottish,
      perspective. I have chosen the time period above since it
      occurs before Clan Donald hegemony over the isles really takes hold,
      before the title "Lord of the Isles" became a concrete reality for
      the
      Clan Donald and before the establishment of the Clan Donald in Antrim.
      The reason for this is to determine how the Clan Somhairle were
      regarded as a whole, as one kindred group, without the pre-eminence
      which Clan Donald attained presenting a monopoly of interest.

      I hope to attempt to discover if these kindreds were considered more
      than "galloglaich" by the native Irish, if they were considered
      "Scots" or were they thought of as true "Gaels" and members of the
      ancient aristocracies, despite their "foreign" origins. I also hope
      complile some sort of narrative regarding the activities of these
      groups in Ireland, which for this time period (c.1175-c.1325) is
      often
      neglected because these kindreds are seen more in a Scottish frame of
      reference without acknowledgement given to their Irish spheres of
      influence.

      Any assistance with sources, texts, references, etc. is greatly
      appreciated, and outside of that maybe the topics raised here will
      spark some discussion in this group to which we all can contribute
      and
      learn from.

      Thank you.

      Steve
    • James Pratt
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2001

        > I am looking for any information, references, source material, etc.
        > regarding the status/activities of the Clann Somhairle (i.e. the
        > descendents of Somerled - the MacDonalds, MacDougalls, MacRuaries) in
        > Ireland from the time period following Somerled's death (c.1164) to
        > the period immediatley following the Bruce invasion (c. 1320-25).

        Try: _The Kingdom of the Isles: Scotland's Western Seaboard
        c. 1100-c.1336_ by R. Andrew McDonald (Phantassie, Tuckwell
        Press, 1997) ISBN: 1898410 85 2. It deals with the families you
        mention in the light of their transition from Celtic Ri's to feudal
        barons.

        Cathal.

        Ingenita levitas et erudita vanitas.
        M. Tullius Cicero