'Lords of the Isles' book

  • bankss@einetwork.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2001
      Greetings all,

      I was wondering if anyone who has the book 'The Lords of the Isles:
      The Clan Donald and the Early Kingdom of the Scots' by Ronald Williams
      could post a little review of it, i.e. is it worth buying.

      Specifically I'm interested in how it compares to R. Andrew McDonald's
      'The Kingdom of the Isles, Scotland's Western Seaboard in the Central
      Middle Ages c.1100-1336' and John Marsden's 'Somerled and the
      Emergence of Gaelic Scotland'. I'm supposing that these are probably
      more "academic", but I'm just curious to know if the Williams' book
      has anything interesting to add, or even if it's just a great read,
      good bibliography, etc. Any opinions at all would be most helpfull.

      Tapadh leibh agus sona la feile Phadraig dhuibh!

      Steve