Re: [albanach] where to go?

  • malkin7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
      there is a great day trip from Edinburgh to the area and cave in which Rob
      Roy hid out for many years. When we went it included lunch at an Inn and a
      hike to the actual cave....I reccommend hiking boots or really good walking
      shoes.

      Also, the night tour of Edinburgh by Robbin's Tours is great. Takes you down
      into the old underground city and ends up in a Pub. Meets at the city center.

      Oh. and a great B&B in Edinburgh, Lorne Villa. Owner is an ex chef......

      Heleyne
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
        At 1:34 PM -0500 2/7/2001, eoganog@... wrote:
        >As medievalists and Scoto-philes, if you were planning a trip to Scotland,
        >what historic sites, museums, places, etc would you want to make sure you saw?

        See my patented touring advice at:

        http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm

        Sharon, ska Effrick
        Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
        Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
        http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
        The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
        Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/
      • eoganog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
          krossa@... writes:

          See my patented touring advice at:

          http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm

          What a great page, Sharon.  Thanks!  I'll share this with many folks if you
          don't mind me linking to it from various web sites.

          One of the first things you mentioned was renting a car.  I was planning in
          this originally, for just the reasons you mentioned.  Recently, though,
          friends of mine who took a trip last year said that once they got there they
          really wished they had purchased a BritRail pass.  According to them, what
          with the high gas prices the BritRail pass saves you a bundle and "the trains
          go anywhere you want to go anyway."  And apparantly the BritRail passes are
          good on major ferrys as well.

          So what would you comment on this.  Worth the extra bucks to rent a car?
          Thanks.

          Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP
          Pursuivant Extraordinary, Deputy Baronial Herald, Sacred Stone
          Web Master et A&S Minister for the Canton of Hawkwood
          http://albanach.homepage.com
          "Checky Or & Vert, two lions combatant, tails knowed, in base a mouse
          couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent."
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
            At 8:49 AM -0500 2/8/2001, eoganog@... wrote:
            >In a message dated 2/8/01 2:20:37 AM !!!First Boot!!!,
            >krossa@... writes:
            >
            >>See my patented touring advice at:
            >>
            >>http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm
            >
            >What a great page, Sharon. Thanks! I'll share this with many folks if you
            >don't mind me linking to it from various web sites.

            No, feel free to link to it -- that's what its there for.

            >One of the first things you mentioned was renting a car. I was planning in
            >this originally, for just the reasons you mentioned. Recently, though,
            >friends of mine who took a trip last year said that once they got there they
            >really wished they had purchased a BritRail pass. According to them, what
            >with the high gas prices the BritRail pass saves you a bundle and "the trains
            >go anywhere you want to go anyway." And apparantly the BritRail passes are
            >good on major ferrys as well.
            >
            >So what would you comment on this. Worth the extra bucks to rent a car?

            If you want to see more of Scotland than just the larger towns, rent
            a car. While for touring England a rail pass can work great
            (depending on your interests), for seeing anything but certain towns
            in Scotland it just doesn't. (And as I said in the patented advice --
            most of Scotland is rural.) Just look at a rail map of the UK --
            http://www.britrail.com/uk_rail_maps.htm and click on the topmost
            square of the map -- it doesn't cover a lot of Scotland. Most castles
            and other attractions outside the big cities are not conveniently
            located in relation to railway stations (or bus routes).

            For example, of the various castles/sites I particularly recommend
            visiting in my guide above, only the ones in Aberdeen are convenient
            to visit without a car. If you go by train, you are going to have to
            spend a lot of time on local buses trying to get to the the places of
            interest -- and that's assuming any bus goes to the places you want
            to see. I have twice taken buses to visit castles (once to Fyvie and
            once to Donnator), and each time it involved a lot of waiting, a lot
            of walking, a lot of wasted time and inconvenience (each time
            visiting one castle took up all or most of a day travelling to and
            from Aberdeen), and after the second time I vowed never to do it
            again! (And when I did it I had been living in Scotland for some time
            and was familiar with the transport system, etc.) The real expense of
            going rail-only includes the cost of bus tickets and/or taxi rides if
            where you want to go isn't in a town with a railway station -- and
            your precious and limited time.

            Now, if you are only planning to go to a couple cities and aren't
            interested in touring the countryside or
            castle/distillery/quirky-Highland-museum hopping, then there is no
            need to rent a car. Also, if you are flying in to London, take the
            train to Scotland and rent a car once you arrive in Scotland (unless
            you want to tour England as well). This saves you time and wear and
            tear before you start your trip. To keep expenses down, if you take
            the train to Scotland and rent the car there, you can rent from a
            local car hire place that will be cheaper than Hertz or Avis.
            (Indeed, you could do this even if you fly into Scotland.) In
            Aberdeen I always rented from Arnold Clark (or was that Arnald?)--
            I'm sure you could find contact information for them via the internet
            and they had offices in various Scottish cities. (You will want to
            make advance reservations.)

            I should perhaps say I am not 100% anti-rail -- I loved the train
            system in the UK. But in my experience it was best when you were
            going on a trip to a specific place or to a few specific places that
            were served by rail, and isn't a great choice if your object is to
            tour.

            I'd ask your friends where they went on their tour and what sorts of
            things they were interested in while they were there -- it may be
            that for them they could have been just as well off only using trains
            (though I'd double check that the things they visited are indeed well
            served by rail), and if you are content to only go to those places,
            perhaps it would work for you. There are plenty of things in the
            towns with railway stations to keep you busy for a good long time
            (and many of them are cute little villages) -- but you're sacrificing
            a lot of flexibility and essentially cutting yourself off from being
            able to see most of the country.

            I would rent a car :-)

            Sharon (ska Effrick)

            PS The other issue with regard to rail vs car is that if you travel
            by rail, you have to do something with your luggage -- this isn't
            always convenient, and depending on the security concerns at the time
            you visit, you may not be able to store luggage in a locker at
            railway stations while you tour a town (and some stations don't have
            left luggage facilities regardless).

            PPS Note that at least when I was renting, the default rental car in
            the UK is stick shift -- if you want automatic, you need to be sure
            to ask for it. (This may not be true for the American rental
            companies there -- Hertz, Avis, etc., but it was certainly true of
            the smaller outfits like Arnold Clark.)
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
              Thanks Sharon.  Very good advice from someone who has been there.  Just what
              I was looking for.
            • Kathleen Hogan
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2001
                >As medievalists and Scoto-philes, if you were planning a trip to Scotland,
                >what historic sites, museums, places, etc would you want to make sure you saw?

                I have always dreamed of visiting Skye, which is where my family is from (and my persona as well).  I would also like to do a round of the museums and sites, but haven't ever gotten around to making a list.

                Caitlin
              • bossman@ijustdontcare.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 17 6:24 PM
                  dont use trains.....british trains are crashing quite a lot recently.
                  trhere have been to many crashes, and far too many deaths to risk a
                  rail journey. fly into glasgow if you can, then rent a car.

                  shineynuada

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 17 11:33 PM
                    At 2:24 AM +0000 3/18/2001, bossman@... wrote:
                    >dont use trains.....british trains are crashing quite a lot recently.
                    >trhere have been to many crashes, and far too many deaths to risk a
                    >rail journey. fly into glasgow if you can, then rent a car.

                    Never mind that more people die in cars than trains...

                    Sharon, who recommends renting a car for convenience, not safety