Re: [albanach] where to go?

  • James A Neill
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
      I can recomend HolyroodHouse, and the Whisky Heritgage Center. I
      personally would like to visit Barra (for personal reasons) and Islay
      (for the whisky, GO ARDBEG!!)
      Aye,
      gillie

      ****************
      Drew Neill Visitor Services Coordinator H
      (704) 366-6622
      Historic Latta Plantation
      W (704) 875-2312
      dneill@...
      www.lattaplantation.org

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • malkin7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
        there is a great day trip from Edinburgh to the area and cave in which Rob
        Roy hid out for many years. When we went it included lunch at an Inn and a
        hike to the actual cave....I reccommend hiking boots or really good walking
        shoes.

        Also, the night tour of Edinburgh by Robbin's Tours is great. Takes you down
        into the old underground city and ends up in a Pub. Meets at the city center.

        Oh. and a great B&B in Edinburgh, Lorne Villa. Owner is an ex chef......

        Heleyne
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
          At 1:34 PM -0500 2/7/2001, eoganog@... wrote:
          >As medievalists and Scoto-philes, if you were planning a trip to Scotland,
          >what historic sites, museums, places, etc would you want to make sure you saw?

          See my patented touring advice at:

          http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm

          Sharon, ska Effrick
          Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
          Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
          http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
          The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
          Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
          Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/
        • eoganog@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
            krossa@... writes:

            See my patented touring advice at:

            http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm

            What a great page, Sharon.  Thanks!  I'll share this with many folks if you
            don't mind me linking to it from various web sites.

            One of the first things you mentioned was renting a car.  I was planning in
            this originally, for just the reasons you mentioned.  Recently, though,
            friends of mine who took a trip last year said that once they got there they
            really wished they had purchased a BritRail pass.  According to them, what
            with the high gas prices the BritRail pass saves you a bundle and "the trains
            go anywhere you want to go anyway."  And apparantly the BritRail passes are
            good on major ferrys as well.

            So what would you comment on this.  Worth the extra bucks to rent a car?
            Thanks.

            Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP
            Pursuivant Extraordinary, Deputy Baronial Herald, Sacred Stone
            Web Master et A&S Minister for the Canton of Hawkwood
            http://albanach.homepage.com
            "Checky Or & Vert, two lions combatant, tails knowed, in base a mouse
            couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent."
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
              At 8:49 AM -0500 2/8/2001, eoganog@... wrote:
              >In a message dated 2/8/01 2:20:37 AM !!!First Boot!!!,
              >krossa@... writes:
              >
              >>See my patented touring advice at:
              >>
              >>http://www.montgomerie.demon.co.uk/touradvice.htm
              >
              >What a great page, Sharon. Thanks! I'll share this with many folks if you
              >don't mind me linking to it from various web sites.

              No, feel free to link to it -- that's what its there for.

              >One of the first things you mentioned was renting a car. I was planning in
              >this originally, for just the reasons you mentioned. Recently, though,
              >friends of mine who took a trip last year said that once they got there they
              >really wished they had purchased a BritRail pass. According to them, what
              >with the high gas prices the BritRail pass saves you a bundle and "the trains
              >go anywhere you want to go anyway." And apparantly the BritRail passes are
              >good on major ferrys as well.
              >
              >So what would you comment on this. Worth the extra bucks to rent a car?

              If you want to see more of Scotland than just the larger towns, rent
              a car. While for touring England a rail pass can work great
              (depending on your interests), for seeing anything but certain towns
              in Scotland it just doesn't. (And as I said in the patented advice --
              most of Scotland is rural.) Just look at a rail map of the UK --
              http://www.britrail.com/uk_rail_maps.htm and click on the topmost
              square of the map -- it doesn't cover a lot of Scotland. Most castles
              and other attractions outside the big cities are not conveniently
              located in relation to railway stations (or bus routes).

              For example, of the various castles/sites I particularly recommend
              visiting in my guide above, only the ones in Aberdeen are convenient
              to visit without a car. If you go by train, you are going to have to
              spend a lot of time on local buses trying to get to the the places of
              interest -- and that's assuming any bus goes to the places you want
              to see. I have twice taken buses to visit castles (once to Fyvie and
              once to Donnator), and each time it involved a lot of waiting, a lot
              of walking, a lot of wasted time and inconvenience (each time
              visiting one castle took up all or most of a day travelling to and
              from Aberdeen), and after the second time I vowed never to do it
              again! (And when I did it I had been living in Scotland for some time
              and was familiar with the transport system, etc.) The real expense of
              going rail-only includes the cost of bus tickets and/or taxi rides if
              where you want to go isn't in a town with a railway station -- and
              your precious and limited time.

              Now, if you are only planning to go to a couple cities and aren't
              interested in touring the countryside or
              castle/distillery/quirky-Highland-museum hopping, then there is no
              need to rent a car. Also, if you are flying in to London, take the
              train to Scotland and rent a car once you arrive in Scotland (unless
              you want to tour England as well). This saves you time and wear and
              tear before you start your trip. To keep expenses down, if you take
              the train to Scotland and rent the car there, you can rent from a
              local car hire place that will be cheaper than Hertz or Avis.
              (Indeed, you could do this even if you fly into Scotland.) In
              Aberdeen I always rented from Arnold Clark (or was that Arnald?)--
              I'm sure you could find contact information for them via the internet
              and they had offices in various Scottish cities. (You will want to
              make advance reservations.)

              I should perhaps say I am not 100% anti-rail -- I loved the train
              system in the UK. But in my experience it was best when you were
              going on a trip to a specific place or to a few specific places that
              were served by rail, and isn't a great choice if your object is to
              tour.

              I'd ask your friends where they went on their tour and what sorts of
              things they were interested in while they were there -- it may be
              that for them they could have been just as well off only using trains
              (though I'd double check that the things they visited are indeed well
              served by rail), and if you are content to only go to those places,
              perhaps it would work for you. There are plenty of things in the
              towns with railway stations to keep you busy for a good long time
              (and many of them are cute little villages) -- but you're sacrificing
              a lot of flexibility and essentially cutting yourself off from being
              able to see most of the country.

              I would rent a car :-)

              Sharon (ska Effrick)

              PS The other issue with regard to rail vs car is that if you travel
              by rail, you have to do something with your luggage -- this isn't
              always convenient, and depending on the security concerns at the time
              you visit, you may not be able to store luggage in a locker at
              railway stations while you tour a town (and some stations don't have
              left luggage facilities regardless).

              PPS Note that at least when I was renting, the default rental car in
              the UK is stick shift -- if you want automatic, you need to be sure
              to ask for it. (This may not be true for the American rental
              companies there -- Hertz, Avis, etc., but it was certainly true of
              the smaller outfits like Arnold Clark.)
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                Thanks Sharon.  Very good advice from someone who has been there.  Just what
                I was looking for.
              • Kathleen Hogan
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 9, 2001
                  >As medievalists and Scoto-philes, if you were planning a trip to Scotland,
                  >what historic sites, museums, places, etc would you want to make sure you saw?

                  I have always dreamed of visiting Skye, which is where my family is from (and my persona as well).  I would also like to do a round of the museums and sites, but haven't ever gotten around to making a list.

                  Caitlin
                • bossman@ijustdontcare.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 17, 2001
                    dont use trains.....british trains are crashing quite a lot recently.
                    trhere have been to many crashes, and far too many deaths to risk a
                    rail journey. fly into glasgow if you can, then rent a car.

                    shineynuada

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 17, 2001
                      At 2:24 AM +0000 3/18/2001, bossman@... wrote:
                      >dont use trains.....british trains are crashing quite a lot recently.
                      >trhere have been to many crashes, and far too many deaths to risk a
                      >rail journey. fly into glasgow if you can, then rent a car.

                      Never mind that more people die in cars than trains...

                      Sharon, who recommends renting a car for convenience, not safety