Re: [albanach] Scottish dress for females

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2000
      At 3:09 PM -0500 11/19/2000, Leslie Lansdowne wrote:
      >At 07:32 PM 11/18/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >>At 10:22 PM +0000 11/18/2000, Talan wrote:
      >> >Are there any examples on the net of Scottish dress for ladies during
      >> >this time period?
      >>
      >>Which time period, which kind of Scottish ladies?
      >
      >I had asked about 14th century women from Stirling. I had heard that there
      >were differences in Highland and Lowland Scots so I am wondering if there
      >are clothing differences.
      >
      >Marsaili ingen Domnaill:-)

      From the Burgh of Stirling itself or the castle, I would expect the
      inhabitants to be Lowlanders (or antecedents in the earlier part of
      the 14th century) and therefore to dress more or less as the English
      did at the same period. There probably were some differences between
      Lowland Scottish and English dress, but I don't know what they were
      or even if we have the evidence to determine what those differences
      were for the 14th century.

      However, you have a Gaelic name -- there is some question as to
      whether you would have been a normal inhabitant of Stirling proper.
      Most towns were inhabited almost exclusively by English speakers,
      though in some areas close to the Gaeltachd you do find Gaels as well
      (so far I know this is true of Inverness). I don't know that 14th
      century Stirling had any Gaels to speak of. The best way to find out
      would be to see if you can discover any 14th century published
      records for Stirling (look in the online library catalogues for
      Scottish universities to find likely books, then see if you can find
      them at a university near you -- one search that might be productive
      is on the keywords "Stirling Records"). Another possibility would be
      to look a little earlier -- check out the Ragman Rolls (Official
      title of the published version _Instrumenta Publica Sive Processus
      Super Fidelitatibus et Homagiis Scotorum Domino Regi Angliae Factis
      A.D. MCCXCI-MCCXCVI_ published by the Bannatyne Club) and see what
      kinds of names the people identified as from Stirling had.

      Sharon (ska Ewphrick)
      Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
      Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
      http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
      The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
      Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
      Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/