Re: [albanach] Preaching to the Choir

  • eoganog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2000
      In a message dated 10/31/00 5:06:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      derek1971@... writes:

      > At any rate, I will admit that I need some period shoes. That is next on my
      > agenda (after I finish that bloody kilt shirt that is driving me crazy!) I
      > am currently wearing the low-cut, single lace Minnetonka moccasins with the
      > rubber sole...I cut the fringe off, at least! Only problem with these
      > except for the obvious, is that sharp rocks and gravel go right through
      them
      > and cut your feet. Is there a period solution that is historically
      accurate
      > that will not have this problem? Is there a "sneaky" or clever way to
      > comfortably protect one's feet in a period shoe? I am a Highland Scot of
      > Late Elizabethan period.

      Usually footwear is the last thing people work on, so don't feel bad. And
      actually, low cut leather moccasins are not that far off, and are far better
      than what most people wear.

      The reason people tend to save historic footwear for last is becase it can be
      a pain in the butt to make yourself, and as a result, can be very expensive
      to have someone else make.

      For most Highland personas, bare feet would be most common, and leather
      cuarans woudl be worn when conditions favoured footwear. These were
      basically a large oval of hide, big enough to cover the foot, with holes
      punched around teh perimiter, then a lace or thong drawn therough the holes
      to gather the hide around the foot. It was worn fur out, just one single
      peice.

      This provides some protection, but not much more than your moccasins do, even
      with a thick hide. What to do to protect our sensitive modern feet? I cut a
      sole out of thick sole-bend 16 oz leather and placed it on the inside of the
      curaran (so that you coudl not see it on the bottom when I am wearing it, as
      these shoes were supposed to have no sole), then added a Dr. Shole's insert
      on top of that. Pretty comfy. Of course these shoes do wear out over time.

      Aye,
      Eogan Og

      Matthew Allen Columba Newsome, curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum
      SCA: Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, AoA, CP
      HTTP://ALBANACH.HOMEPAGE.COM
    • Derek Godfrey
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
        For extremely cold weather, would a muckaluk type boot be uncharacteristic?
        I was thinking a high top leather boot covered in a rabbit skin or
        something, to the knee with a leather lace wrapped around (criss-crossed)
        and tied off at the knee?

        Thanks,

        Aonghus

      • eoganog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
          I have seen a high kind of curaran illustrated in 16th century drawings, but
          I don't know if that would be exactly what you are describing. I think
          leather wraps laced on woudl not be uncharacteristic, though.
        • Nancy Zupanic
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
            | My problem was not that there were people there not making an attempt at
            | pre-1600 garb. Each and every one of them was doing just that. My
            problem
            | was on the overall lack of education that leads people to believe
            "anything
            | Scottish is medieval." We need to get the word out so that people can
            make
            | more and more authentic costumes.
            |
            | Aye,
            | Eogan

            It is really hard to get the information needed to make authentic, or close
            to authentic, garb. Being an earlier persona even makes it harder. If I
            didn't have the internet, it would be pretty much impossible and if Eogan
            didn't make himself and his knowledge so accessable, I wouldn't be properly
            garbed.

            Everyone I asked could tell me how *not* to dress, but no-one could help me
            with how *to* dress and my limited library only had men dressed in kilts
            with no dates, no pre-1600 information, and nothing for Highland females.

            Just wanted to put some perspective on why you were seeing so many poor
            attempts - the info is hard to find, and a lot of people still don't have
            internet access.

            Muireach
          • Drew Neill
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
              One quick question... Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy leather
              or hide for currarans? Thanks. I am currently using a pair of moccasins
              from K-mart with the tongues taken out and laced instead.... any help
              would be nice! Also anyone know a good leine pattern/seller?
              Thanks,
              Drew

              ******
              Drew Neill Elon College Alumni (704)
              366-6622
              History/Religious Studies
              History was written by those who have hanged heroes.
              ******

              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • eoganog@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                Drew. For leather goods, try:
                http://www.leatherfactory.com/

                And for leine patterns, both Sharon and I have slightly different styles of
                patterns on our web pages, either of which will work fine.
                Mine is:
                http://albanach.homepage.com/leine.html
                At the bottom of the article is the pattern.

                Effric's (Sharon's) is at:
                http://www.medievalscotland.org
                Find the link to the leine pattern--can't remember the exact URL but it's
                easy to find from the index page.

                Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP, Phoenix Eye, Pursuivant Extraordinary
                Web Master et Arts & Science Minister for the Canton of Hawkwood
                http://albanach.homepage.com
                Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
                mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
              • Leslie Lansdowne
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                  >Usually footwear is the last thing people work on, so don't feel bad. And
                  >actually, low cut leather moccasins are not that far off, and are far better
                  >than what most people wear.
                  >
                  >The reason people tend to save historic footwear for last is becase it can be
                  >a pain in the butt to make yourself, and as a result, can be very expensive
                  >to have someone else make.
                  >
                  >For most Highland personas, bare feet would be most common, and leather
                  >cuarans woudl be worn when conditions favoured footwear. These were
                  >basically a large oval of hide, big enough to cover the foot, with holes
                  >punched around teh perimiter, then a lace or thong drawn therough the holes
                  >to gather the hide around the foot. It was worn fur out, just one single
                  >peice.
                  >
                  >This provides some protection, but not much more than your moccasins do, even
                  >with a thick hide. What to do to protect our sensitive modern feet? I cut a
                  >sole out of thick sole-bend 16 oz leather and placed it on the inside of the
                  >curaran (so that you coudl not see it on the bottom when I am wearing it, as
                  >these shoes were supposed to have no sole), then added a Dr. Shole's insert
                  >on top of that. Pretty comfy. Of course these shoes do wear out over time.
                  >
                  >Aye,
                  >Eogan Og

                  What would be appropriate footwear and clothing for a 14th century female
                  from the Stirling area? Or is there a real difference between Highland and
                  Lowland dress?

                  Marsaili ingen Domnaill

                • B Edwards
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000

                    > What would be appropriate footwear and clothing for a 14th century female
                    > from the Stirling area? Or is there a real difference between Highland
                    and
                    > Lowland dress?
                    >
                    > Marsaili ingen Domnaill

                    I would also like to know what the appropriate clothing and footwear for a
                    10th-12th centaury female from the Stirling area would wear.

                    Alycie of Stirling
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                      At 5:50 PM -0500 11/3/2000, Leslie Lansdowne wrote:
                      >What would be appropriate footwear and clothing for a 14th century female
                      >from the Stirling area? Or is there a real difference between Highland and
                      >Lowland dress?

                      There is a real difference. A lot depends on where specifically you
                      mean by "Stirlingshire". In Stirling itself in the 14th century I'd
                      expect Lowland clothing (more or less like the English). Elsewhere
                      depends entirely on exactly where and exactly who.

                      Sharon, ska Effrick
                      Sharon Krossa, krossa@...
                      Medieval Scotland (including resources for names, clothing & history):
                      http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                      The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
                      Consultations about re-creating historically accurate pre-1600 names:
                      Academy of Saint Gabriel - http://www.s-gabriel.org/