Re: [albanach] Clothing in 12th Century

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9 7:37 AM
      On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 23:30:09 -0400, albanach@egroups.com wrote:

      > Did they wear kilts, tartans in the 12th c.? Say, about 1166?
      > Is there a definitive book/source on the Highlands during this time
      period?
      > Thanks,
      > Karen

      From what I have read, the kilt was not seen until the late 1500's. Prior to
      that they wore tunics. If you need documentaion for this Eogan will be back
      on Sunday and can give you all you need.

      In service to all
      Ronan

      Say Bye to Slow Internet!
      http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html
    • eoganog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11 8:54 AM
        In a message dated 9/9/00 10:38:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        magelord1@... writes:

        > > Did they wear kilts, tartans in the 12th c.? Say, about 1166?
        > > Is there a definitive book/source on the Highlands during this time
        > period?
        > > Thanks,
        > > Karen

        > From what I have read, the kilt was not seen until the late 1500's. Prior
        > that they wore tunics. If you need documentaion for this Eogan will be back
        > on Sunday and can give you all you need.

        Ronan's right (good ghillie). ;-) The earliest form of the kilt, as we know
        it, was not recorded until 1594. I have written two articles that you may
        find interesting and useful.
        The Early History of the Kilt:
        http://albanach.homepage.com/kilt.html
        The Leine (Gaelic tunic):
        http://albanach.homepage.com/leine.html

        Let us know if you have more questions after reading these!

        Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP, Phoenix Eye, Pursuivant Extraordinary
        <A HREF="http://albanach.homepage.com">http://albanach.homepage.com</A>
        <A HREF="http://albanach.homepage.com/hawkwood.html">Web Master for the
        Canton of Hawkwood</A>
        Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
        mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
        ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
        <A HREF="http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach">http://www.egroups.com/group/a
        lbanach</A>