Re: [albanach] thoughts on singing

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
      I'm afraid I don't understand your question . . . are you asking if we think
      it is acceptable to perform songs of perhaps doubtful authenticity? I say
      yes, if their theme and flavor are appropriate. Myself would like to hear
      some fresh material, and would love to get hold of some myself ( I too am a
      singer ) and in fact to perfomr duets, if you've any of that sort . . .

      Donal
    • Rowen G
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
        --- In albanach@egroups.com, JBRMM266@a... wrote:
        > I'm afraid I don't understand your question . . . are you asking if
        >we think it is acceptable to perform songs of perhaps doubtful
        >authenticity?

        Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I suppose it boils down to that. I
        was wondering what other performers found appropriate.

        > I say yes, if their theme and flavor are appropriate.

        As do I. As mentioned, however, I prefer not to do "traditional"
        (i.e. not really documentable) pieces for competition. Bardic
        circles or feast entertainment are another matter. (Having had the
        enjoyable experience of silencing a large noisy hall with 'Craobh
        nan Ubhall' in solo voice.)

        > Myself would like to hear
        > some fresh material, and would love to get hold of some myself ( I
        too am a
        > singer ) and in fact to perfomr duets, if you've any of that
        sort . . .

        What material do you have? What would you like? Any particular
        pieces you're looking for? Our household has seven volumes (lacking
        the 8th [index] vol. so far) of the Grieg-Duncan Folk Song
        Collection, which rather does for Scottish folk song what Child did
        for English ballads. [University of Aberdeen and Mercat Press] We
        also have the Gesto and Tolmie collections, two fine turn of the
        (19th-20th) century collections of Gaelic tunes/songs, as well as
        the three volumes of Marjory Kennedy-Fraser's 'Songs of the
        Hebrides,' another early 20th c collection (lose the piano
        arrangements.) Oh, yes, and Margaret Fay Shaw's 'Folk Song and
        Folklore of South Uist,' which includes some sound anthropological
        commentary. Wm. Watson's 'Specimens of Gaelic Poetry, 1550-1900.'
        And a few more shelves of lore, poetry and music.

        Sorry, getting carried away here. Let me just say we have quite a
        few sources on Scottish traditional material, and are willing to
        share info. :)

        Some of the pieces in the Tolmie and Gesto collections (also I think
        in Kennedy-Fraser) are attributed to SCA period.

        As to duets... let me look a bit. I suspect we've something.
        Contact me offlist if you like: rowengr@ hotmail.com (take out the
        spaces.)

        Rowen Brithwallt