Re: [albanach] names

  • eoganog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2000
      In a message dated 7/27/00 4:42:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      wyrdwitch@... writes:

      > Mael-Giric (I noticed that Mael- began several names, and that Giric
      > appeared by itself too--could this be something similar to the modern
      > French system of Jean-Pierre, Jean-Claude, Jean-Michel?)

      "Mael", I believe, had the meaning of "devotee" or "follower" so that, for
      instance, Mael Colum would be "the follower of Columba." This is the most
      famous "Mael-" name I know of because it gave rise to the surname Malcolm.

      Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, CP, Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      http://albanach.homepage.com
      Pursuivant Extraordinary, Web Master for the Canton of Hawkwood
      Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
      http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach