4869Long time ago in Barony not so far away.. (was: Name: Mac Garaidh (was: Newbie))

  • loch
    Sep 23, 2009
      ...there was an upstart little SCAdian who thought he
      could buck several hundred years worth of history and
      name himself whatever he wanted, from whatever period
      time he wanted in Scotland. He was willful and ignorant.

      Then he read some books. Did a little research. Talked
      with many people. And soon realized that certain people
      on a certain yahoo board were right all along. That the
      time period he wanted to play in (late 13th into early
      14th century), in the place he wanted play (Scottish
      Lowlands), was in fact, predominantly Scoto-Norman. That
      out the window were pre-conceived notions of kilts, and
      leather armor, and bad scottish brogues. He realized his
      was a time of chausses and braies, chainmail and surcoats,
      and Middle English or French.

      Yet, all was not lost to heraldic capitulation. His desired
      connection to the Hay name was realized, and he got to keep
      his given name too!

      http://wimble.outlandsheralds.org/individual_record.php?PersonID=10167

      I just wanted to come back and thank the wonderful Ladies
      and Lords who helped me come to my senses, and started me
      on a path to an SCA persona worth developing. If ever I can
      help someone else in the same capacity, please let me know.

      YIS,

      Lord Louchelan de Hay
      formerly "Lochlan de la Hay"
      formerly "Lochlan mac Garaidh"