4810Re: [albanach] Term for crafting a copper kettle? - Thank you

  • Shelton Browder
    Mar 4, 2008
      Hi again,

      glad to help. Words are fun and sticking them together to form visual
      images is quite a craft itself. I like your imagry. It fits in with the
      imagry that shows up in old stories and poems.

      Copper wire was around long before that, though I don't know when it first
      appears. Maybe I'll dig around to see just for fun.

      Shel

      Quoting Diana Cosby <wulfe6@...>:

      > Shelton Browder wrote:
      >
      > >Hi Diana,
      > >
      > >"Hewn" would apply only to wood. "Crafted" is generic and would apply
      > >most any handmade process, whatever the process or material. One
      > process
      > >for making non-ferrous vessels is called "raising". Your line could
      > read
      > >"like the color of a copper kettle newly raised."
      > >

      > ~Great, love this.
      >
      > >If you wished to use a more hairlike copper product, then you could
      > say
      > >"like the color of copper wire, newly drawn". Copper wire is sized by
      > >drawing it through increasingly smaller holes until the desired
      > diameter
      > >is reached. It causes the surface to be rubbed bright.
      > >

      > ~My story setting is 1297, so not sure if they have copper wire yet?
      > Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
      > Diana
      >
      > www.dianacosby.com
      > Zebra/His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
      > Zebra/His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder

      Shel
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic