3055Re: [albanach] Research Advice

  • Matthew Newsome
    Mar 7, 2003
      Joy Fisher wrote:

      > I very much appreciate the time you spent explaining
      > the things that you have. Thank you sincerely.
      >
      > Would McCracken then be considered to be part of Clan
      > MacNaughton?

      As I said in my last email, MacCracken is always listed under the clan
      MacNaughton in modern clan/family reference works, simply because
      MacCracken and MacNaughton are merely different Anglicized spellings of
      the same Gaelic name.

      So, yes, MacCracken is a part of Clan MacNaughton for modern reasons --
      i.e. deciding what tartan to wear, wanting to join a clan society,
      participation in the Highland Games, etc.

      However, I wanted to stress that all of this is a modern consideration.
      In period, the Gaels did not have surnames per se, and what clan you
      belonged to had nothing to do with your name. Bob MacSmitty was called
      that because his first name was Bob and his dad's first name was
      Smitty. He was Bob, son of Smitty. He didn't belong to "Clan
      MacSmitty." His dad's name was probably something like Smitty
      MacBubba. This means Bob's grandfather's name was Bubba.

      Of course I'm using silly examples, primarily so I don't have to attempt
      to spell Gaelic this early in the morning. ;-)

      But my main point is that for purposes of choosing an SCA name, what
      clan your persona belongs to, if he or she belongs to a clan at all,
      would not determine the surname.

      Matthew A. C. Newsome
      http://albanach.org
      Highland Dress Historian