Re: [alanmoore] Re: Notes to League v2 #4 are up

  • Ian McLean
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      There's reference in this issue's Traveller's Almanace to an island (off
      the coast of Africa? it's not in front of me) which it would be a bad idea
      for a bunch of children to be marooned on. Could this be a reference to
      "The Lord of the Flies"?

      Andrew
    • Jess Nevins
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003

        Ian McLean wrote:

         There's reference in this issue's Traveller's Almanace to an island (off
        the coast of Africa? it's not in front of me) which it would be a bad idea
        for a bunch of children to be marooned on. Could this be a reference to
        "The Lord of the Flies"?

        Yep, sure is.

        I posted updates to the annotations today. Not a whole lot, but some interesting things in there.

        jess

      • Lang Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
          >There's reference in this issue's Traveller's Almanace to an island (off
          >the coast of Africa?

          By the way, the Almanac has a reference to Kong's Skull Island but I
          thought this was in the Pacific not off Africa. I get ambiguous info from
          the Web and it's been a few years since I last saw the film; anybody know?

          LT
        • SDunbier@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
            In a message dated 1/1/03 9:59:42 PM, wlt4@... writes:

            << By the way, the Almanac has a reference to Kong's Skull Island but I
            thought this was in the Pacific not off Africa. I get ambiguous info from
            the Web and it's been a few years since I last saw the film; anybody know? >>

            I can't say for sure but the Atlantic makes sense, they left from New York
            City.
          • jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
              On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:58:31 -0500 Lang Thompson <wlt4@...> wrote:

              > >There's reference in this issue's
              > Traveller's Almanace to an island (off
              > >the coast of Africa?
              >

              > By the way, the Almanac has a reference to
              > Kong's Skull Island but I
              > thought this was in the Pacific not off
              > Africa.� I get ambiguous info from
              > the Web and it's been a few years since I last
              > saw the film; anybody know?

              In the original Edgar Wallace novella the island (which is called "The Island
              of the Mists"--"Skull Island" is never used in the novella) is, IIRC, "a
              thousand miles west of Java," which would place it somewhere in the Indian
              Ocean.

              In the movie (again, IIRC) it's "south-west of Sumatra."

              jess
            • richarda39 <richarda39@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2003
                -
                I read the paperback back in the 1960s about a dozen times and as I
                recall (memory may be faulty, though) the island was in the Pacific
                somewhere off the western coast of Africa (south of the Indian Ocean).

              • ctowner1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/6/2003 11:43:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, "richarda39 <richarda39@...>" <richarda39@...> writes:

                  >-- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, SDunbier@a... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> In a message dated 1/1/03 9:59:42 PM, wlt4@m... writes:
                  >>
                  >> << By the way, the Almanac has a reference to Kong's Skull Island
                  >but I
                  >> thought this was in the Pacific not off Africa.  I get ambiguous
                  >info from
                  >> the Web and it's been a few years since I last saw the film; anybody
                  >know? >>
                  >>
                  >> I can't say for sure but the Atlantic makes sense, they left from
                  >New York
                  >> City.

                  >-
                  >I read the paperback back in the 1960s about a dozen times and as I
                  >recall (memory may be faulty, though) the island was in the Pacific
                  >somewhere off the western coast of Africa (south of the Indian Ocean).

                  um..wouldn't the west coast of Africa put you in the ATLANTIC ocean?

                  L nny
                • richarda39 <richarda39@hotmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
                    -Yeah, I screwed up. It was on the EAST side. (: