Re: The interim story

  • Jess Nevins
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
      Michael Norwitz wrote:

      > I was all prepared to view the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film as
      > simply being an interim adventure between the first two series, in which a
      > slightly varient team encounters the Phantom of the Opera. No big deal.
      >
      > Then I learned that the character Dante is *the* Dante ... Dante
      > Alighieri.
      >
      > I think I may have to retract my request to Jess Nevins to annotate the
      > film script. If this is true ... what an utter waste of time!

      Yeah. I think I agree. I hadn't heard that, but if so...sheesh.

      jess
    • Michael Norwitz
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
        I was all prepared to view the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film as
        simply being an interim adventure between the first two series, in which a
        slightly varient team encounters the Phantom of the Opera. No big deal.

        Then I learned that the character Dante is *the* Dante ... Dante
        Alighieri.

        I think I may have to retract my request to Jess Nevins to annotate the
        film script. If this is true ... what an utter waste of time!

        "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
        (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
        blaklion@...
        ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
      • Jess Nevins
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002

          Michael Norwitz wrote:

           On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Jess Nevins wrote:

          > > Then I learned that the character Dante is *the* Dante ... Dante
          > > Alighieri.
          > >
          > > I think I may have to retract my request to Jess Nevins to annotate the
          > > film script.  If this is true ... what an utter waste of time!
          >
          > Yeah. I think I agree. I hadn't heard that, but if so...sheesh.

          I will hope against hope that there is an explanation.  After all, there
          is a fictional as well as a real Cyrano de Bergerac; maybe the character
          who will appear in the film is the fictional Dante who traversed mystical
          realms, and there is some explanation for his presence?

          Also, Jess, I beg to differ with a complaint you expressed to me
          privately.  You thought pitting the League against the Phantom of the
          Opera was too obvious.  Perhaps; but what's more obvious than pitting a
          team of Victorian adventurers agaist Professor Moriarty, Wells' Martians,
          and Lovercraft's elder gods?  In that sense, at least, I think Robinson is
          actually being faithful to the concept of the original!

          Mmm. Yeah, I suppose, you're right. It's just the obscurist in me who was hoping for someone...
          well, more obscure.

          jess

        • Michael Norwitz
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
              On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Jess Nevins wrote:

              > Mmm. Yeah, I suppose, you're right. It's just the obscurist in me who
              > was hoping for someone... well, more obscure.

              But this is an American movie! come on. 8)

              Besides that ... I actually think that would violate the spirit of the
              comic! As I've argued before, there are Victorian characters who would be
              much more likely to join a team of heroes (in fact, assisted by your
              research, I and Ivan Schlabotski are working on just that idea), and there
              are Victorian characters who much better reflect the dark sides of human
              nature. Moore's lineup of Mina Harker, Mr. Hyde, Alan Quatermain, the
              Invisible Man, and Captain Nemo is completely the opposite of obscure.
              It's the Justice League ... it's the most popular (in this era) Victorian
              characters, cobbled together into a single story whether it's likely or
              not.

            • jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
                On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:53:30 +0000 (GMT) Michael Norwitz
                <blaklion@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Jess Nevins wrote:
                >
                > > Mmm. Yeah, I suppose, you're right. It's
                > just the obscurist in me who
                > > was hoping for someone... well, more
                > obscure.
                >
                > But this is an American movie!� come
                > on.� 8)
                >
                > Besides that ... I actually think that would
                > violate the spirit of the
                > comic!� As I've argued before, there are
                > Victorian characters who would be
                > much more likely to join a team of heroes

                True-- but as I've argued elsewhere, there aren't many more Victorian
                characters who are more archetypal than the ones chosen. That they are also
                the most commercial is a happy coincidence, but I don't think commercial
                viability was what Moore was thinking of when he conceived of the series. I
                think he was thinking of big-name characters and archetypal ones.

                jess
              • dedalus616@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
                  While I am not privy to the details of this script, perhaps the "Dante"
                  referred to is not Dante Alghieri, but Dante Gabriel Rossetti, the
                  Pre-Raphaelite painter who (I believe) was alive during the time that this
                  film is set? While Rossetti seems like he might be an obscure choice for a
                  big-budget feature like this, it makes more sense.
                • gsstro@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
                    In a message dated 9/1/02 5:55:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jjnevins@... writes:

                    I don't think commercial viability was what Moore was thinking of when he conceived of the series. I think he was thinking of big-name characters and archetypal ones.

                    In a couple of early interviews when LOEG was in the development stage, Moore mentioned some other characters besides the line-up he finally decided to use
                    (one was with Andy Diggle and the other was from AnotherUniverse.com - sorry I didn't save the URL's!) .

                    According to what he said in these interviews, the series was originally going to be titled "The League of Extraordinary Gentlefolk" (I assume that name was changed because it was too politically correct and didn't reflect Victorian values).

                    Of the characters Moore was considering,
                    he mentions Sexton Blake as being one of the main characters, taking over for Sherlock Holmes who was currently occupied in Austria. Moore elaborates that he didn't want to use Sherlock Holmes "because he's too f*cking obvious", but that he might use Mycroft Holmes instead. The Time Traveller from the time machine is mentioned, and Phileas Fogg was going to be involved, rather than just his balloon.

                    Moore menitons other plots he was considering, as well. He says
                    that Kapiten Moore's Luftpiraten would have stolen the cavorite and were going to sell it to the Germans; he was considering investigating more of Fu Manchu's history, such as how the Opium Wars shaped him. Moore also mentions a plot where Dr. Moreau finds the Lost World after Prof. Challenger abandons it and plays with dinosaur DNA.
                  • jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
                      On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 22:53:10 EDT gsstro@... wrote:

                      > Daylight Time, jjnevins@... writes:
                      >

                      > I don't think commercial viability was what
                      > Moore was thinking of when he conceived of the
                      > series. I think he was thinking of big-name
                      > characters and archetypal ones.
                      >
                      > In a couple of early interviews when LOEG was
                      > in the development stage, Moore mentioned some
                      > other characters besides the line-up he finally
                      > decided to use (one was with Andy Diggle and
                      > the other was from AnotherUniverse.com - sorry
                      > I didn't save the URL's!) .
                      >
                      > According to what he said in these interviews,
                      > the series was originally going to be titled
                      > "The League of Extraordinary Gentlefolk" (I
                      > assume that name was changed because it was too
                      > politically correct and didn't reflect
                      > Victorian values).
                      >
                      > Of the characters Moore was considering, he
                      > mentions Sexton Blake as being one of the main
                      > characters, taking over for Sherlock Holmes who
                      > was currently occupied in Austria. Moore
                      > elaborates that he didn't want to use Sherlock
                      > Holmes "because he's too f*cking obvious", but
                      > that he might use Mycroft Holmes instead. The
                      > Time Traveller from the time machine is
                      > mentioned, and Phileas Fogg was going to be
                      > involved, rather than just his balloon.
                      >
                      > Moore menitons other plots he was considering,
                      > as well. He says that Kapiten Moore's
                      > Luftpiraten would have stolen the cavorite and
                      > were going to sell it to the Germans; he was
                      > considering investigating more of Fu Manchu's
                      > history, such as how the Opium Wars shaped him.
                      > Moore also mentions a plot where Dr. Moreau
                      > finds the Lost World after Prof. Challenger
                      > abandons it and plays with dinosaur DNA.

                      *sigh*

                      Is it too early to start asking Moore to write Elseworlds League of
                      Extraordinary Gentlemen? I want to see his take on Sexton Blake.

                      jess