Re: [alanmoore] Lost Girls

  • SRoweCanoe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 95 , Mar 1, 2002
      In a message dated 3/1/2002 12:19:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, ianmcl@... writes:

      This includes all of the material
      from Taboo, but I believe Taboo did not get as far with the story as KSP.

      that is correct
      (ie: the issues do contain some new material)

      Steven Rowe
      SRoweCanoe@...
    • chinaboatman
      Message 95 of 95 , Sep 19, 2006
        --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Michael Norwitz <blaklion@...> wrote:

        > Taking this personally, are we?

        Oh please. don't be childish. As you well know, it wasn't your opinion
        that caused a storm in a teacup, it was the attempt to attribute the
        opinion to Alan Moore without any reference to back it up.

        Personally i'd like to see this list become a little more opinionated
        (in a good way)as it's a little 'stiff'.

        For the record I agree with whoever it was that described League as
        a 'romp'. I don't think that makes it a minor work however. I don't
        equate 'fun' with 'trivial'. Nor do I think that Moore's work is
        only 'serious' when it reflects my own personal sensibilities or
        asthetics (such as your statement that you are interested in Moore
        writing superheros only when he treats them 'seriously'ala Miracleman.
        Does this mean that you would rather he just rehashed Miracleman over
        and over again? tha sounds a little boring to me) So no, I didn't take
        it personally, I just found it a little pompous.

        League is well down on my list of favourite Alan Moore comics
        personally, but then so is From Hell. When I first read From Hell I
        thought it was incredible but repeated readings didn't stand up to the
        first impression. It seems very cold and dry in many places and lacks
        a lot of the humanity I expect in an Alan Moore work. Of course, it
        could be argued that the subject matter demands that but i don't
        agree. Most of Moore's later work is transcendant. From Hell seems to
        me to be the last of his 'bleak' works.