Captain Britain

  • hippos3x
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
      So, I just finished the Britain TPB: questions and comments....

      Someone earlier had made a comment about how the Britain stories
      were better in black and white or something to that effect, so it
      was originally B&W? Either way, in my opinion the coloring was
      excellent. It was at times representative of that kind of color
      that was good in the eighties, the coloring that didn't induce
      nausea. I would say that of the coloring in Watchmen, though I
      obviously worship that work as a whole, but I digress.

      I really enjoyed the story (and art) of Captain Britain and was
      wondering just how much came before and after that TPB? Was there
      something inbetween that and Excalibur? How much content took place
      before the begining of this trade?

      And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with the
      Special Executive, right? The part where Braddock says "Just tell
      me one thing..." or something along those lines....What happens
      between that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or whatever??

      And yeah, there is a buzz that comes from knowing that Alan Moore
      and I happen to like the same contemporary music. Strange stuff.

      Thanks guys,
      Joe
    • Michael Norwitz
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, hippos3x wrote:

        > Someone earlier had made a comment about how the Britain stories were
        > better in black and white or something to that effect, so it was
        > originally B&W? Either way, in my opinion the coloring was excellent.
        > It was at times representative of that kind of color that was good in
        > the eighties, the coloring that didn't induce nausea. I would say
        > that of the coloring in Watchmen, though I obviously worship that work
        > as a whole, but I digress.

        Yes, it was originaly in b&w. I'm of mixed feelings about the
        colorisation; the art is beter when in its original form but to me
        superheroes are meant to be in color! And I think the colorist did a damn
        fine (if not exceptional) job, and also at least attempted to respect
        continuity somewhat (although she made some errors in Wardog's uniform).
        I just wish they hadn't replaced her for the final chapter, which was ugly
        beyond belief.

        > I really enjoyed the story (and art) of Captain Britain and was
        > wondering just how much came before and after that TPB? Was there
        > something inbetween that and Excalibur? How much content took place
        > before the begining of this trade?

        There was a short run written by Jamie Delano in the monthly CAPTAIN
        BRITAIN title, which was collected into a (now o/p) trade paperback.

        > And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with the
        > Special Executive, right? The part where Braddock says "Just tell me
        > one thing..." or something along those lines....What happens between
        > that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or whatever??

        Without consulting the original, Braddock says, "Where are we?" and
        Wardog replies, "Earth ... just not *your* Earth."

        "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
        (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
        blaklion@...
        __________________________________________________http://www.best.com/~blaklion
      • richarda39
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
          Dave Thorpe (with Davis on art) wrote the earlier episodes. These
          stories were in cluded in the X-Men Archivers and lead directly into
          Alan's stories. Jamie Delano did take up the reins after Alan's
          departure but it wasn't that short a run. 14 issues of Cap's own B&W
          magazine as well as serveral episodes that appeared elsewhere. Enough
          stories to take up a fairly good sized trade paperback, anyway.

          Richard

        • gsstro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
            In a message dated 2/1/02 3:59:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, hipposex@... writes:

            And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with the
            Special Executive, right?  The part where Braddock says "Just tell
            me one thing..."  or something along those lines....What happens
            between that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or whatever??

            The missing page is in the fifth chapter of Moore's run, the story "Judgement Day". It originally appeared in The Daredevils #6.
            Incidentally, they also left out another page Moore wrote. He scripted the last page of the previous storyline as a segue into his Captain Britain run.
          • smithand44
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2002
              --- In alanmoore@y..., gsstro@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 2/1/02 3:59:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > hipposex@h... writes:
              >

              > > And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with
              the
              > > Special Executive, right? The part where Braddock says "Just
              tell
              > > me one thing..." or something along those lines....What happens
              > > between that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or whatever??

              The page is online, supplied by our own Mikel Midnight,

              http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/9973/CaptainBritain/CaptainB
              ritianMissed.jpg

              It's part of an Alan Davis Cap Britain site.

              Best Wishes

              Andrew Smith
            • richarda39
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                While I agree that color is extremely useful to most superheroes
                comics (it's horrible for a horror comic, though), the coloring in the
                Eclipse's color volumes and in the Captian Britain trade is garish and
                wrong. Color was applied very well to V For Vendetta. Why doesn't
                someone ever think about using a little care in applying color to
                trades unstead of slapping on your basic "superhero" color. What
                works for crap like the X-Men doesn't always do justice to more
                complex work.

                All that said, I still prefer both Marvelman & Captain Britain in
                B&W simply because you can *see* Leach, Davis & co. excellent artwork
                in all its glory. Great early work from both of them and the crap
                color jobs can obscure that.

                RA

                --- In alanmoore@y..., "smithand44" <smithand44@h...> wrote:
                > --- In alanmoore@y..., gsstro@a... wrote:
                > > In a message dated 2/1/02 3:59:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > > hipposex@h... writes:
                > >

                > > > And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with
                > the
                > > > Special Executive, right? The part where Braddock says "Just
                > tell
                > > > me one thing..." or something along those lines....What happens
                > > > between that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or
                whatever??

                > The page is online, supplied by our own Mikel Midnight,

                http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/9973/CaptainBritain/CaptainB
                > ritianMissed.jpg
                >
                > It's part of an Alan Davis Cap Britain site.
                >
                > Best Wishes
                >
                > Andrew Smith
              • Michael Norwitz
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                  On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, richarda39 wrote:

                  > While I agree that color is extremely useful to most superheroes
                  > comics (it's horrible for a horror comic, though), the coloring in the
                  > Eclipse's color volumes and in the Captian Britain trade is garish and
                  > wrong. Color was applied very well to V For Vendetta. Why doesn't
                  > someone ever think about using a little care in applying color to
                  > trades unstead of slapping on your basic "superhero" color. What
                  > works for crap like the X-Men doesn't always do justice to more
                  > complex work.

                  I agree. The colors on both the Eclipse Marvelman reprints, and the
                  Marvel Delano/Captain Brotain reprints, were a disrace.

                  "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
                  (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
                  blaklion@...
                  __________________________________________________http://www.best.com/~blaklion
                • Truth Addict
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                    > > And so there was a missing page in the middle of the part with the
                    > > Special Executive, right? The part where Braddock says "Just tell
                    > > me one thing..." or something along those lines....What happens
                    > > between that and Wardog telling him about time lapse or whatever??
                    > >

                    >The missing page is in the fifth chapter of Moore's run, the story
                    >"Judgement
                    >Day". It originally appeared in The Daredevils #6.
                    >Incidentally, they also left out another page Moore wrote. He scripted the
                    >last page of the previous storyline as a segue into his Captain Britain
                    >run.

                    Was the missing page an error? Will it appear in later editions ( the
                    original missing page not the segue, I mean...)

                    eric

                  • Michael Norwitz
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                      On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Truth Addict wrote:

                      > Was the missing page an error? Will it appear in later editions ( the
                      > original missing page not the segue, I mean...)

                      The original missing page is a huge error asa it only serves to cut off a
                      conversation mid-question. The segue probably won't appear in later
                      editions because (a) it's meaningless without the preceding Thorpe issues
                      and (b) it is complete crap.

                    • davemacp@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                        not only is the art better in black and white, the page dimensions were originally larger. that certainly was a factor. I remember getting a copy of the british comic that the chapter "The Candlelight Dialogues" was in and was blown away. I only could get a few of the other issues here in the states, but was always hoping for a volume where I could read that amazing piece in context. Now that I have, I must say that the power has diminished, and I think that some of it comes from the fact that it is poorly planned color and it is now compressed.
                      • Ian McLean
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 4, 2002
                          not only is the art better in black and white, the page dimensions were originally larger. that certainly was a factor.

                          That's typical in American editions of British comics. Same could be said for Miracleman/Marvelman.

                          Andrew

                        • metatron11
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
                            Quick question. I've read Moore's CAPTAIN BRITAIN run, which I think
                            is underrated. It suffers from the fact that it starts with a
                            cleaning up of storylines from the previous writer. But this is
                            primo Moore, still actively involved in the Superhero mythos - and
                            enjoying it.

                            I'm thinking of hunting down the volume that collects the Jamie
                            Delano run that follows.

                            Anyone care to venture an opinion on it?

                            Thanks in advance,

                            Mike Feldman
                          • Scott Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
                              on 7/16/02 8:54 PM, metatron11 at metatron11@... wrote:

                              > Quick question. I've read Moore's CAPTAIN BRITAIN run, which I think
                              > is underrated. It suffers from the fact that it starts with a
                              > cleaning up of storylines from the previous writer. But this is
                              > primo Moore, still actively involved in the Superhero mythos - and
                              > enjoying it.
                              >
                              > I'm thinking of hunting down the volume that collects the Jamie
                              > Delano run that follows.
                              >
                              > Anyone care to venture an opinion on it?

                              It's been a while since I read it, but I remember really liking it.

                              --
                              /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                              || Monica and Bill went up the hill
                              This Missive Was From: || To fetch a pail of water
                              Scott of Stomp Tokyo || Silly Bill gave her a stain
                              scott@... || And all he faced was slaughter
                              http://www.stomptokyo.com/ || -- The song "Mire Life" from
                              || Hum Aapke Dil Main Rehta Hai
                              \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                            • Christopher Shumway
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
                                On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Scott Hamilton wrote:

                                > on 7/16/02 8:54 PM, metatron11 at metatron11@... wrote:
                                > > I'm thinking of hunting down the volume that collects the Jamie
                                > > Delano run that follows.
                                > >
                                > > Anyone care to venture an opinion on it?
                                >
                                > It's been a while since I read it, but I remember really liking it.

                                Hmm. Can't help you on Capt. Britain, but I've recently been tracking
                                down older Hellblazer stories, and his run reads better than I remembered.
                                I was also one of the few people who read and enjoyed Outlaw Nation all
                                the way to its premature end.

                                So, I'll throw Delano up on the underrated list.

                                --
                                Christopher W. Shumway
                                shumway@...

                                Softline International, Inc.
                              • Michael Norwitz
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
                                  On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, metatron11 wrote:

                                  > Quick question. I've read Moore's CAPTAIN BRITAIN run, which I think
                                  > is underrated. It suffers from the fact that it starts with a
                                  > cleaning up of storylines from the previous writer. But this is primo
                                  > Moore, still actively involved in the Superhero mythos - and enjoying
                                  > it.
                                  >
                                  > I'm thinking of hunting down the volume that collects the Jamie Delano
                                  > run that follows.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone care to venture an opinion on it?

                                  Not as brilliant as Moore, of course, and containing a variety of short
                                  pieces rather than a single arc, but nevertheless quite entertaining.

                                  "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
                                  (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
                                  blaklion@...
                                  ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
                                • richarda39
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
                                    I agree, not as mindblowing as Moore/Davis but quite good. A cut
                                    above most superhero work being done at the time. And Davis' artwork
                                    was just beautiful. Prefer it in the original black & white to the
                                    trades' color version.

                                    RA

                                    _________
                                    > "She always had a terrific sense of humor"
                                    Mikel Midnight
                                    > (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
                                    > blaklion@b...

                                    ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.bes
                                    t.vwh.net
                                  • bryan.hollerbach@ey.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 17, 2002

                                      (snip)

                                      I was also one of the few people who read and enjoyed Outlaw Nation all the way to its premature end.

                                      So, I'll throw Delano up on the underrated list.

                                      --
                                      Christopher W. Shumway

                                      (pins)

                                      I agree, Christopher. Although its art coarsened over the course of the series, I too thought Outlaw Nation "had legs," and I wish Delano had had the chance to follow his original plan for it. Delano's work generally troubles me; perhaps because it lacks the flash-and-dazzle of (say) Grant Morrison's, it often doesn't make much of an impression. Nevertheless, operating under the assumption that the fault may lie more with me as a reader than him as a writer--I have problems with Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry James, too--I always buy any projects of his, even though I know I'll probably be plagued by the suspicion I shouldn't so much be reading his work as rereading it.

                                      Bry
                                      The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Ernst & Young LLP
                                    • ctowner1@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 17, 2002

                                        <<
                                        I agree, not as mindblowing as Moore/Davis but quite good. A cut
                                        above most superhero work being done at the time. And Davis' artwork
                                        was just beautiful. Prefer it in the original black & white to the
                                        trades' color version.

                                        RA >>

                                        Is the whole run available in a TPB? a single one? or what? Brit TPB? or
                                        American?

                                        lnny
                                      • Michael Norwitz
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 17, 2002
                                          On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 ctowner1@... wrote:

                                          > Is the whole run available in a TPB? a single one? or what? Brit TPB?
                                          > or American?

                                          The whole run (minus the Warpies spinoff series) is available in an
                                          American TPB, currently O/P but it should be findable.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 17, 2002
                                            The Delano/Davis work was available in a single trade paperback.
                                            Probably out of print but may be on ebay or in comic shops still.

                                            Richard

                                            --- In alanmoore@y..., ctowner1@a... wrote:

                                            > <<
                                            > I agree, not as mindblowing as Moore/Davis but quite good. A cut
                                            > above most superhero work being done at the time. And Davis'
                                            artwork
                                            > was just beautiful. Prefer it in the original black & white to the
                                            > trades' color version.
                                            >
                                            > RA >>
                                            >
                                            > Is the whole run available in a TPB? a single one? or what? Brit
                                            TPB? or
                                            > American?

                                            > lnny
                                          • jay.eales
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 18, 2002
                                              From: richarda39 <richarda39@...>

                                              > The Delano/Davis work was available in a single trade paperback.
                                              > Probably out of print but may be on ebay or in comic shops still.

                                              It was brought back into print shortly before the Moore run was finally
                                              collected, so there should be a current printing out there for purchase.

                                              (Not that I've been looking, though - I got my copy when it first came out,
                                              so I don't even know if they did a new cover for it)

                                              Jay
                                              BORDERLINE - The award-winning FREE PDF International Comics Magazine -
                                              http://borderline.mediahall.co.uk
                                              THE GIRLY COMIC - Now available to buy at:
                                              http://girlycomic.factorfictionpress.co.uk